Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chili Mac



From Fat Free Vegan.


While I love all-day cooking marathons where I can try and master complicated recipes and reach new heights of deliciousness, these kitchen parties usually only occur on the weekends because I am crazy busy during the week. When I lost my job in the auto industry, I thought I'd have more time. Somehow, I seem to have less. School is crazy hectic, as I am trying to get my thesis done by August (and the estimated time of completion keeps getting pushed back...sigh) and I'm still working at the clinic a few days a week. My days are incredibly erratic...always running to a different place at a different time, and with Paul working real estate hours, dinner can fall anywhere between 4pm and 10pm on any given weeknight.

As a result, I've been cooling it with the super complicated recipes and have instead been focusing on building a collection of 1) easy 2) quick and 3) clean recipes. By clean I mean one or two pots/pans at the most and maybe a stirring utensil. I'm not a fan of this, as I really do love to cook and now that I'm actually getting decent at it (after years of avoiding the stove) I like to be challenged. But, until I am finally, once and for all done my thesis, this is my reality.

Not that it's all gloom and doom...some of my best kitchen concoctions have risen out of the ash of desperation and ticking clocks. The above recipe was semi-stolen from Fat Free Vegan, so Susan gets all the credit...we just mixed it up a bit, as we normally do. I had a bunch of spinach on the brink of going bad, so in went that...we also used a ridiculously spicy arrabiata and so we downed a gallon of water apiece over dinner (so good though). It also uses nutritional yeast, which is a vegan necessity (although as I've recently learned, not all nooch, as us vegans affectionately refer to it, contains B12, so read your labels carefully if you don't supplement - I like Bob's Red Mill). We used gluten free rice pasta as opposed to macaroni, as that's what we had on hand. It took all of 15 minutes to make and other than cooking the pasta, all I had to do was dump everything into one pot and stir it occassionally, which meant I had time to watch a DVD episode of the Office without interruption (er - I mean - write a chapter summary for my thesis).

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails