Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Memphis BBQ Tofu with Warm Potato & Black Bean Salad and Grilled Asparagus



The calendar switched over to summer and all of a sudden mother nature cranked up the thermostat. It has been ridiculously hot and humid here this week (not that I'm complaining...well, maybe just a little, because the humidity does horrible things to my hair).

And, when the temperature is 30C with a humidex of 37C the last thing I am going to be doing is turning on the oven or stove.

This means that I turn to the barbeque on especially hot and sticky nights...and really, nothing is quite so lovely as ending a long summer day at work with a barbequed dinner on the patio.

I have no idea why I never thought of grilling tofu before. It seriously never even entered my mind until I saw a post on Vegan Dad's blog. This recipe uses his sweet and sticky bbq sauce recipe, made from scratch (omg, you will never reach for the bottle again!) and is frozen for at least day.

In general, I'm not that big on tofu. I usually prefer tempeh because it is more firm and less "squirmy", for lack of a better word. However, freezing tofu prior to use gives it more of a firm quality and a spongy texture that, when thrown on the grill, is reminiscent of meat - making it great for convincing omnis of the awesomeness that is veganism.

The recipe for the potato salad came from Nava Atlas' Vegan Express. I've never really been able to get on board with cold potato salads, so when I saw this recipe (served warm, but not hot) I thought it might do the trick. And it gave me a reason to use up some of the parsley I have growing in the garden, which is all but fried from the heat.

Paul announced that this is his new favourite meal (sorry polenta and tofurky sausage, you have been demoted!). As you can see, we each ate about four people's worth of food because we just couldn't get enough. I can't wait to use grilled tofu instead of fake meat the next time I make my un-chicken un-caesar, which should be soon as the lettuce in my garden is just about ready to be picked!

P.S. I would like to thank my great friend Rhian for plugging This is Vegan on her blog, There is Purpose and welcome any new readers...any friend of Rhian's is a friend of mine! I also urge you to check out her blog. She is a certified life coach and offers thoughts and guidance regarding total body and soul wellness. Check her out!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails