Monday, July 13, 2009

Chipotle-style Guacamole



Saturday night marked the highly anticipated UFC 100. Being that I'm not all that into UFC I don't think I fully grasp the epic-ness that was this event, but it is something Paul has been going on about for months now. We typically gather with friends to watch the UFC pay-per-view events throughout the year, but since this was one for the history books I thought I'd make a snack. While I started out with some ambitious ideas about what to contribute, in my infinite laziness I took the easy way out and threw together a zippy little guacamole.

While I like cilantro just fine, Paul can't stand it and so I strayed from traditional guacamole and used dried cumin instead. Red onions, tons of tomato, garlic, lemon juice (because I was all out of lime), red onion, and of course avocado. And chipotles in adobo to make it a little fancier for such a big event.

Chipotles (or chipotle chili peppers) are just jalapeno peppers that are smoke-dried. Adobo is the marinade, made from garlic, tomatoes, vinegar, salt and spices, within which the chipotles are stewed... making a deliriously delicious concoction that tastes like barbeque, no matter what you put it on.

Finding chipotles in adobo has been a real pain around these parts lately. Our supermarket used to always carry them in the "Mexican" section. Then they only had chipotle adobo salsa which seemed to work fine. Now they have absolutely nothing that even resembles chipotles in adobo. I managed to find one lonely can at a specialty grocer last week and it cost me four freaking dollars. Which sucks, because I put them pretty much everything...chilis, tacos, enchiladas, burger patties, sandwiches, even pasta sauces now and again. It is such an easy way to add crazy flavour. Why oh why does the supermarket have to be difficult just when I've become addicted to the stuff? I have dried chipotle chili powder and liquid smoke, but it's just not the same.

Anyway, a little bit goes a long way when it comes to chipotle peppers. If it were up to me I'd probably have thrown half the can in, but I didn't want to make it too spicy in case the others weren't keen on breathing fire for the night. And this way I have some left over, because heaven knows when I will be able to find another can that doesn't cost me my unborn first child (okay, I'm probably exaggerating, but I am extremely cheap and $4 for a tiny can of anything makes me crazy).

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails