Monday, July 6, 2009

Colourful Quinoa Summer Salad



Our TV broke about two weeks ago and it is taking forever for the guy to fix it. I'm not going to lie and pretend that I am somehow above TV and that we don't watch it while eating. Stevie the TV (copyright Joey Tribiani) is much missed in our household (being that we are going three weeks without him!) but it has gotten us actually speaking to each other while shoveling food down our throats. And with weather as beautiful as it's been over the last few days, we've taken to spending hours on our back patio, feeding time included.

Saturday night we had a Mexican theme. I made enchiladas and we had margaritas...until we ran out of lime juice and switched to rye and ginger. Meaning Sunday was a bit rough.

Last night we barbequed some tempeh burgers and I made this bright and refreshing quinoa salad. It's basically a cup and a half of cooked quinoa, a can of organic chickpeas and fresh veggies (cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, tomato and a ton of fresh parsley from my garden) tossed with lemon juice, Frank's Red Hot and a couple tablespoons of agave nectar. Oh, and a bit of the red garlic sansel that I got at an epicure party. The meal was ridiculously high in protein (chickpeas, tempeh and let's all have a round of applause for the wonder that is QUINOA!).

It was so good. Really light and refreshing; perfect for a summer night.

And before I go, I have to once again praise all that is veganism because I went dress shopping today and purchased a size SMALL dress for a wedding we have coming up! SMALL! I have not fit into such little fabric properly since I was in high school. And since I am the world's laziest blogger (and human, probably) I can only credit veganism for the drop in poundage, as it takes a lot to get me to break any kind of sweat. I am going to be high off that purchase for days!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails