Sunday, October 25, 2009

Autumn Harvest Soup



For the most part, we don't eat much of the prepackaged/canned food varieties for breakfast and dinner. Lunch, however, is kind of tricky because it needs to be fast and easy on most days. I suppose I don't have much to complain about because for the most part we are both able to be at home for lunch and thus don't have to worry about finding something portable that requires very little maintenance before eating (I am the queen of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on the days I can't come home for lunch). Although we can eat at home, I find myself seriously lacking creativity when it comes to lunch. I generally prefer to slave away in the kitchen during the latter half of the day and so there are many a can of soup that are warmed up in our microwave during the noon hour Monday-Friday.

I really and truly hate microwaves (I am wildly suspicious even though I know very little about them..something just doesn't seem right about how nuclear things get after only 60 seconds) but I can't seem to shake mine in that tricky noon-to-1pm timeslot of the day. I am also not keen on the prepackaged foods (organic or not) so I've recently taken to making large amounts of soup on weekends that can warm up easily in the microwave during the week, here at home or at work. They are just as convenient as the canned variety. Maybe even more convenient. I happen to be the proud owner of a very ancient can opener and subsequently ALWAYS seem to be cutting myself on the metal edges of the can that it doesn't like to process. As an added bonus, homemade soups are more fresh and I know exactly what goes into them.

This week I decided to try this Autumn Harvest Soup from Nava Atlas' Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons because butternut squash was on sale and I already had all of the other ingredients. It is almost like a chili rather than a soup or stew, as there isn't all that much liquid. I really liked it, because it is hearty, filling and nutrient-rich with the beans and various vegetables but it is not at all heavy, which is great if you have to follow it up with a few more hours of work before the day is done and the couch calls your name.

It's a great way to celebrate the harvest...would definitely be a good light-but-filling meal to serve the kidlets next weekend, before they head out into the night to play tricks and get treats and subsequently gorge themselves with candies well into the night (good luck on Sunday, parent readers!).

5 comments:

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I feel the same about lunch time! For some reason I am not ambitious in the kitchen that time of day. So that's why I always cook a big batch of something on Sunday to eat throughout the week--this soup looks delish! I just made a white bean and potato soup!

Mary said...

oooh, yum! I love any kind of soup with potato in it :)

The Voracious Vegan said...

I love a nice big comforting bowl of soup, this looks amazing.

thegreenbite said...

That looks so good! I may have to make a big pot this week! YUM!!

Mary said...

I definitely recommend it .. it's a good freezer cleaner, if you have frozen veggies you're looking to get rid of .. I'd imagine it's pretty hard to make it taste bad!

Related Posts with Thumbnails