Sunday, November 15, 2009

Tempeh Hashbrown Casserole and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes



Despite not being much of a breakfast person, I get ambitious on the occasional lazy Sunday morning. Since we passed out on the couch at promptly 9pm last night (such partiers!) I was up fairly early this morning and decided we could use some hashbrowns.

Hashbrowns are the only exception to my "I Don't Like Breakfast" rule. I was also at the specialty grocer the other day and cleaned them out of Harry's tempeh so when I noticed the recipe for this casserole in Eat, Drink and Be Vegan I decided today was the day to give it a try.



It was really good. Even better sprinkled with a wee bit of hot sauce after it comes out of the oven...gives it the perfect bite.

After we finished eating, Paul declared: "If this meal were on Facebook, I'd fan it". So there you go. It's good.



I also have excessive amounts of canned pumpkin wasting away in the cupboard so I thought I'd make these pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Isa says not to refer to these as muffins, but I don't think muffin is an insult and we thought them to be more muffin-like than cupcake-like, in a good way. There is a very slight cinnamon drizzle on the top to give them an almost sticky-bun kind of feel but they are not the same kind of traditional super-sweet-rot-your-teeth-in-a-good-way cupcake characteristic of the book. As such they make a better post-breakfast treat than traditional cupcakes. Unless, of course, you don't mind chocolate and buttercream at 8am (Truthfully, I'd be lying if I said I've never had a cupcake for breakfast).

Evidently we needed the hearty breakfast because afterwards we thought we were brave enough to start our holiday shopping at Toys'R'Us. On a Sunday. And we quickly realized we were over our heads when we watched a child punch her mother in protest of leaving the store. Yikes!

5 comments:

Toni said...

Wow. I cannot believe a kid would do that.

Okay. I an believe it. Which makes me sad.

I have a hold at the library on some vegan cookbooks and am really excited to give some of these recipes a try.

I also really want a cupcake now.
Really bad.
I'm drooling.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Oooh this post is too good to be true! You have combined some of my favorite things: hashbrowns, casseroles, pumpkin and chocolate! I would fan this whole post on facebook if I could! Pure genius, thank you SO much!

Mary said...

Toni - it was kind of shocking but everyone in the store seemed to be so chaotic that we weren't even surprised! Best of luck with your cookbook adventure!

Voracious - I had never made hashbrowns at home before and I'm so glad I tried it...relatively easy, just a bit time consuming to roast the potatoes before putting the casserole together (I prefer them roasted as opposed to the microwave, but the microwave would definitely cut down on time). They are a good quiet Sunday morning activity!

blissfulbellas said...

YUMMM we were going to make those cupcakes this weekend but alas school and laziness got the best of us...now looking at that picture i wish we had...must make it a point to make em soon...love that recipe book...the pictures alone in it make me sugar high :D

Mary said...

I had meant to make them a couple times before I actually got to them...and it's funny because out of all the cupcakes in the book they require the least amount of work. Definitely give them a try and let me know if you liked them as much as I did! :)
VCTOTW is so great...I have been meaning to get out and pick up their new cookie cookbook as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails