Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fettuccine Alfredo



I generally like Christmas, but I'm kind of excited for January so that the chaos can slow down and we can return to normal eating patterns. With the hustle and bustle we've been eating a lot more convenience food and it's no coincidence that I have generally felt gross and have had virtually no energy. Not to mention all the Christmas baked goodies and sweets and whatever else that have found their way into our house.

I generally consider December a freebie when it comes to junk food (vegan-friendly, of course) but I'm seriously starting to wonder why. Sure it induces a sense of nostalgia and is usually followed by "Okay, one more - it's Christmas!" but it's really not worth feeling like crap when you realize you haven't got a hope in hell of buttoning your favourite jeans. Or even getting them up over your butt.

After eating a lot of junk over the past couple weeks running in between school, work, the mall and Christmas events, I am throwing in the towel and attempting to restore some sort of normalcy to mealtime. Because time is still a factor this time of year, this means I am going to still rely on convenience but at least conveniences that I make myself without all the extra fattiness typical of fast food and restaurant fare.

So when I saw something on Vegan Yum Yum entitled, "Hurry Up Alfredo" I took it as a sign. Even though I don't really believe in signs.

I wasn't much of an alfredo eater before I was vegan. I found it heavy and it never failed to give me a stomachache. When I was a kid I was told I was lactose intolerant and my solution was to ignore it for fifteen years. As such, eating something like fettucine alfredo was enough to have me curled in a ball on the floor for hours. Fortunately, vegan alfredo poses none of these risks.

For this recipe you literally just put a bunch of ingredients in a blender and cook pasta according to direction. Put the two together, toss in some steamed broccoli for that greeny goodness, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper, et voila - faster than you can say "veggie burger, no mayo".

I also tossed a caesar salad using Dreena Burton's raw caesar dressing recipe. Dinner was done so quick last night that we had time to scrub the house top to bottom in anticipation for the Christmas party we are hosting tonight (meaning I'll have time for a nap when I get home from work in a couple of hours - hurrah!).

3 comments:

Toni said...

Way to get the control of the holiday season back in your hands! Christmas really is an easy excuse to use. We all do it. Our parents did. I'm sure greeting card companies had something to do with it too.

Melissa said...

That looks so good! I love Vegan Yum Yum but I hadn't checked it out in a while. Think I'm going to try this one!

Mary said...

Christmas is a very easy excuse...and then it is followed up by months of bitter winter and it's so easy to fall into a lazy slump!

Vegan Yum Yum is so great...I'm a big fan of their recipes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails