Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Goodies via the Second Annual M&P Ugly Xmas!



The second weekend of December marks my favourite of our newer holiday traditions - Ugly Xmas! We encourage our dear friends to stop by for some Christmas cheer by means of a little eating, a little drinking, a little dancing and a little shuffleboarding in their tackiest christmas attire. It gives me an excuse to bake up holiday treats without having to eat them all. Above are gingerbread cupcakes with cream cheeze frosting, from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (where else?!).



These are peppermint patties from How it All Vegan and admittedly the colourful photos of these beauties in the cookbook is what prompted me to buy it in the first place. I definitely wasn't disappointed...if I wrapped them in foil I'm fairly certain I could have fooled people into thinking they were store bought. And they were so easy to make. Almost too easy, as I'm going to be tempted to make them every time the sugar cravings kick in.

And although these photos are not necessarily vegan-themed, I thought I'd share some of our Ugly Xmas finest:



Me waiting for our guests, in a sweater that cost me sweet $3 at a secondhand store!



Paul in an embroidered cotton number that had some strange black glitter all over it, also under $5 from a secondhand store







There were some great outfits this year, wish I could share them all! But only one could win the title of "THE UGLIEST" (voted on by all the guests) and get to wear the crown...



And that was our dog, Dora. But since she was one of the party hosts and thus did not qualify for the crown...



...it went to the two second place winners, Shayna and Kathy!


It was a great night, thanks to all of you who came out - can hardly wait for the 3rd Annual to take place next December!

4 comments:

Dairy Free Betty said...

Hahah.. those are the best ugly sweaters I've seen so far!!

Can you tell me the secret of the inside of the peppermint - I can't seem to figure out how to make a dairy free peppermint innards ;) haha

Toni said...

Looks like fun! I love holiday parties.

Bliss Doubt said...

Well, whadya know? I've been participating in "ugly christmas" for years, without ever having heard of it before. At our office christmas party, one lady wore a sweater with a christmas tree on it, with batteries tucked in somewhere, that lit up when she turned it on. At my drum circle holiday session two nights ago, people came with those fuzzy red santa hats and all sorts of over the top embroidered sweaters and vests. I wore my snowman tee-shirt, so I get no good taste awards either. Great blog post, thanks!

Mary said...

Thanks all!

The recipe for the patties from How it All Vegan is very thorough...it really involves very few ingredients...peppermint extract, vegan margarine, vegan milk, etc. .. basically a standard issue peppermint patty recipe using vegan substitutes! I'm not sure if all recipes include this among steps, but in How it All Vegan you freeze the batter in between handlings. So you mix it together, scoop it out in tsps onto a cookie sheet, freeze for 15 minutes, roll them into balls and pat them down (quickly, so they don't get sticky) and freeze them again for 15 minutes and then dip them in chocolate while chilled. Makes them so much easier to handle...no sloppy mess at all!

BATTERIES! What an idea...I will have to keep that in mind for next year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails