Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cheezy Nachos



I am an American Idol junkie, in all its embarrassment and shame. I know it's a put-on and disgrace to the music industry, and I don't really care. It keeps me occupied on boring winter nights.

For the record, Idol is just the tip of the iceberg. I also cannot get enough of Big Brother and Biggest Loser and whatever else the clicker manages to land on during my incessant channel shuffling. All in all, I'm sure a reality tv addiction support group would be happy to have me as a project challenge. Ooh, perhaps we could make a reality show out of THAT?! Paging Dr. Drew!

Anyway, last night was the season premiere of American Idol, and so I set oral defense preparations aside in favour of two hours of mindless entertainment.

And what is premiere night without snacks?

These are nachos, featuring a cheezy sauce that I found on Happy Vegan Face (I think?), but I saved it over a year ago and can't seem to find the link for it now. I am very happy I saved it when I did, however, because it was amazing. We stirred in some organic salsa and topped the nachos with onions, bell pepper, fresh tomatoes and jalapenos. Because I cannot find the recipe online, I will post it here - to be removed if the original author comes forward and provides their link.



CHEEZY SAUCE (for Nachos)

1/2 cup plain rice milk
1 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 heaping tsp yellow miso
10 raw almonds
10 raw walnut halves
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 cup salsa verde
1 tbsp sriracha (i think i'm addicted)
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp tahini

Directions:
1) Blend together all the ingredients except the salsa verde.
2) Pour into a saucepan and warm over medium-high heat. Stir consistently (careful it doesn't burn!) and incorporate salsa.
3) Let warm until it reaches the consistency you like (about two minutes seems to do it).
4) Pour over nachos and top with fresh veggies!

3 comments:

Dairy Free Betty said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOH my goodness!! This looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must try... ASAP! mmmmmm my mouth is watering I love nachos!!

J. said...

ME TOO! I love American Idol. I've been waiting for it! And now they have a vegan judge! What could be better? I didn't see it last night because we don't have cable, but I'll watch it tonight on line. With snacks, of course. Your nachos look great.

Mary said...

Thanks ladies!!
I loveeee nachos myself...before vegan it was my favourite snack food, so glad to have found an alternative to the warm nacho platters I used to get!

Related Posts with Thumbnails