Friday, January 1, 2010

Cool Hummus Pizza Bites



Happy New Year, dear readers! Hope you had a great time celebrating and aren't feeling any after-effects (wish I could say the same for myself).

We rang in 2010 with a lot of dancing at a black tie potluck. I made two things: spring rolls (which I forgot to take a picture of when I brought them out and when I finally remembered all 50 of them were gone...they were that good - special thanks to my mom for helping me make them!) and these hummus pizza bites.

I like this kind of hors d'oeuvres option because the recipe is insanely simple AND they don't need to be warmed up or fussed with prior to serving, so they are every bit the perfect party food. I got the idea for it from a little insert that came with my Pampered Chef baking stone, but instead of using cream cheese and mayonnaise as per the recipe I use jalapeno hummus. I'm sure they would taste great with YoSo cream cheeze and Vegenaise but I rarely buy that kind of stuff. This is much easier and in my humble opinion, even more delicious.

Cool Hummus Pizza Bites

1 package refrigerated crescent rolls (make sure they are vegan!)
1/2-3/4 cup hummus (to taste - there's no such thing as too much hummus!)
1 small clove of garlic, minced
2 cups assorted freshly cut vegetables (I used bell pepper, cucumber and green onion)

1) Preheat oven to 350F. Unroll crescent roll dough and arrange in a circle on a baking stone (you can use a regular pizza pan, just monitor it while it bakes - these buggers go from uncooked to burnt very quickly). Roll the dough into a 12" circle and press to seal any holes. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely.

2) Spread hummus evenly over the top of the crust. Top with chopped veggies and cut into bite-size pieces. If you're not serving them right away be sure to keep them in the fridge.




It's that simple!

Sigh, I really wish I had a picture of the spring rolls...they were so freaking good. I guess I'll just have to make some more.

May 2010 be your best year yet...cheers to health, happiness, and the memories waiting to be made.

P.S. The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart program begins TODAY! Sign up to their mailing list and get tons of tips and recipes delivered right to your inbox. Great for those new to the vegan scene, but there are also lots of ideas for vegan veterans too! Resolve to make your health a priority this year; your body will thank you!

3 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I would eat an entire platter of these myself, they look just amazing! Thanks for the recipe. You're right - there is no such thing as too much hummus! Happy New Year!

Dairy Free Betty said...

this looks soooooo good!! Thanks for sharing :)

Mary said...

That's part of the problem - we kept snacking on them while waiting to go out!

Happy New Year to you both!

Related Posts with Thumbnails