Monday, January 18, 2010

Project: Cupcakes Care!

It is easy, in such devastating times, to be overcome with grief, frustration, confusion and helplessness and the feeling that there is nothing you can do.

As it turns out, there is something you can do.

There's just one question and a simple yes or no answer will suffice.

Do you like cupcakes?!

If the answer is yes, continue reading. If the answer is no, it begs the question of what exactly is wrong with you, but that is neither here nor there.

If you are among the awesome who love a good cupcake, I am selling cupcakes with 100% of the proceeds going toward the Free the Children Earthquake Relief Fund (http://www.freethechildren.com/). Free the Children is an amazing organization focusing on not only immediate relief, but long-term assistance to help Haiti get back on its feet.

I am happy to cover any and all ingredient, supply and equipment costs so that every penny you contribute goes STRAIGHT to those who need it the most (plus I get to lick the spoons when all the cupcakes are packaged up and sent off, so it's win-win here).

I am also able to deliver straight to your door if you live within Kitchener-Waterloo. If you are in Cambridge, message me and we can perhaps find a halfway point. Unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that. There will be no charges for any of this. Again, all of the proceeds go to the earthquake relief fund. If you donate $10, exactly $10 goes into the little piggy bank that eventually finds its way to Free the Children. You are essentially donating money to help our friends in Haiti, and I'm giving you cupcakes as a thank you.

Choose between DOUBLE CHOCOLATE and GOLDEN VANILLA, both topped with a fluffy buttercream frosting and can be yours in the following quantities:

1) The Delicious Duo (2 cupcakes) - $5

2) The Saucy Six (6 cupcakes) - $10

3) The Divine Dozen (12 cupcakes) - $15

These cupcakes are dairy and nut free. Please advise if you have any special dietary concerns or allergies. I am also able to make gluten free cupcakes at special request, in quantities of 6 and 12.

If you would like to place an order, please do so by FRIDAY, JANUARY 22, 2010 at 10am. Cupcakes will be delivered over the weekend, or at a time specified by your convenience. Comment here, or drop me an email at hellomarycakes@hotmail.com.



Double Chocolate!



Golden Vanilla!


It may not change the dire circumstances plaguing Haiti today (and in the years to come, no doubt), but it's a little something and progress is built upon a bunch of little somethings.

8 comments:

Anardana said...

That's a nice idea :)

Jamie said...

Aww. You're sweet. I hope you get lots of orders!
Just as an idea, maybe you could mail some, with the cupcakes in little boxes, and maybe the frosting in little ziploc bags so you can just cut the tip off and frost the cupcake yourself so it doesn't get all over the box. I would totally buy some if you did that!

Mary said...

I thought of having a shipping option, but I am very inexperienced with shipping baked goods, particularly with regard to customs and over-the-boarding shipping. I just didn't have enough time to look into it...but your ideas for keeping the cupcakes fresh are great and it is definitely something I will look into in the future, should another project like this arise! Thanks for your interest!

Viatical Life Settlement said...

Yes i Also Like Cupcakes.

hsmaury said...

Thanks so much for doing this --- my husband and I went to Haiti a few years ago and were so moved by what we saw there that we now sponsor 2 children there. We are heartsick that we may never know what happened to those 2 children. We are giving all we can to help Haiti recover and so when I see someone do something like what you are doing, it just restores a little bit of my faith in humankind. Thanks so much!

Mary said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sponsored children. There is no way to adequately articulate the devastation and such it is impossible for us to understand why on EARTH the biggest tragedies always seem to happen to the people who are already suffering the most.

Thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement. This project arose out of an extreme sense of helplessness as I watched the news late one night, and while I know it is very minor compared to others' efforts, I had difficulty with the thought of sitting still during such a time.

I know it will make very little difference in the grand scheme of things and there are so many other instances of tragedy plaguing our world today, but keeping my hands busy helps distract me from that. The outpouring of support from the community has been incredible, and it has really rejuvinated my spirit and my faith in the capacity of humankind as well. Thanks again!

Jewish Addiction Recovery and Treatment said...

Great information....This is an interesting and informative blog post..
Thanks for sharing

hsmaury said...

Mary - here is what I love about what you did. A lot of people do think that they can't make a difference, and so, they do nothing. You did something, even though you think it won't matter in the grand scheme. But ultimately, it will. Because so many people are doing something that they think won't matter in the great scheme, but it DOES add up. Every time I go into a WaWa to get gas for the car or a Slushie for my daughter, I donate a dollar to their Help Haiti fund. If it was just me doing that, it truly wouldn't matter. But other people are doing it too, and those dollars add up. So, long comment short, don't second-guess yourself. What you are doing DOES matter in the grand scheme. Thank you thank you thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails