Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Roasted Garlic Soup with Focaccia Bread



Good morning, Blogosphere!

I'm stranded around the house this morning, waiting for our new internet service provider to show, so I thought I'd post some pictures of my new favourite soup.

Before I made this I had never roasted garlic before. And now I can't stop roasting garlic, just because it makes the house smell like an Italian restaurant. I find it so shocking that people find the smell of garlic offensive!

Besides the fact that just the smell alone makes my stomach growl and my heart happy, garlic is a superfood that puts many modern pharmaceuticals to shame. It promotes cardiovascular health, may aid in fighting off various cancers and is probably most touted for its antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Read about these in more detail here. Not so smelly now, huh?!

Find the recipe for this soup in Vegan with a Vengeance, and for the focaccia bread in Vegan Soups & Hearty Stews for All Seasons. While roasting whole garlic heads is relatively easy (although a bit time consuming) preparation is quite easy. If the smell really gets to you, I highly recommend wearing gloves while squeezing the soft garlic out of the peel when it is finished roasting.

Oh, one final word to the wise from an anxious cook who makes silly mistakes and rushes through steps because she is s0o0o0o0o hungry. If you use a blender to puree your hot soup, for the love of God be mindful of how much you put in there before turning it on. Scalding, garlicky liquid everywhere.



No wonder the dog runs for the hills the second I go anywhere near the kitchen.

2 comments:

Dairy Free Betty said...

that soup looks sooo good!!
Roasted garlic is so amazing. I forgot about it, thanks for the reminder... it tastes good on everything!!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Garlic is one of my favorite things any which way it is prepared but when I roast it....ooohhhh....when I roast it I have a hard time doing anything but picking out the buttery, melty cloves and eating them plain. Roasting garlic = magic.

Related Posts with Thumbnails