Thursday, February 11, 2010

Potato & Tempeh Sausage Pizza



Superbowl Sunday, aka Gorge-Yourself-With-Pizza-Day has come and gone for another year. We, like the rest of North America, had a Superbowl party that we attended and I didn't think ahead and order myself a cheeseless pizza. Well, that's not entirely accurate. I did think ahead, but I figured pizza wasn't what I wanted and Paul and I opted for veggie burgers and fries instead.

I immediately regreted my decision once the cardboard boxes started opening up. Not that the veggie burgers weren't good too. But there is something about pizza and Superbowl Sunday (I talk like I actually know something about football, when in actuality this is only the second time I have watched a Superbowl game in my entire life).

So, it was decided on Sunday night that Monday's dinner would have to be pizza of some sort, to subside the cravings that coincided with watching a game I know nothing at all about, except that it provides an excuse to take a minute and worship the greatness that is the pizza pie.

While it was undeniably a pizza craving I was experiencing (you know, the one where everything else you attempt to eat tastes like absolute piss just because it's not pizza), I was interested in something a little different than a standard issue veggie pizza. A frequenter of the foodie blogosphere, I have noticed a trend in unconventional pizza toppings in recent years. Because we vegans tend to march to the beat of our own drum, I like to think of us as forerunners in pizza-loving reform. A favourite vegan pizza topping? Potato!

I consulted my trusty copy of Vegan with a Vengeance, because Isa provides a stellar recipe for perfectly executed potato pizza, topped off with a spicy tempeh sausage medley that will make you wonder why you ever missed pepperoni. I don't know if anyone sells prepackaged tempeh sausage, but you really don't need it, as there is a recipe that is as easy as it is incredible available right within Vegan with a Vengeance (and it involves little more than a package of tempeh and some herbs/spices). Make a little extra and use the leftovers as a sandwich filler!



Admittedly I was a little nervous about this recipe, as the pizza only bakes for about 8 minutes. Having failed miserably at many a potato-baking extravaganza, I have learned that it takes a heck of a lot longer than 8 minutes to appropriately cook the little buggers. But, I put my trust in Isa, as she knows far more than I do.

Turns out the potatoes do stay a smidge harder than they would were you cooking a standard potato dish. BUT that is what gives the pizza that unique, what-could-that-possibly-be? element, while avoiding the mushy mess that potato dishes often turn into.

Other than making the dough, this pizza comes together very quickly. I barely had time to toss together a caesar salad and wipe down the countertops (you should see what a mess of the kitchen I make when tossing pizza dough). It may have been a day too late for Superbowl madness, but I think it was worth the wait.

4 comments:

Gina said...

That looks amazingly yummy. I need to check out that sausage recipe...I haven't opened VWAV in awhile!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I need to make this! I love pizza so much and this looks just perfect!

Mary said...

It was so amazing, I can't believe I've been sitting on that cookbook for years and have never made it before.

Mihl said...

Yum, I want a slice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails