Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tempeh and Green Beans in a Cremini-Miso Gravy with Corn and Scallion Quinoa



Paul and I have decided to up our workout game. Before you congratulate us too much, all this means is that we are moving from a total sloth-like state to one in which we break a sweat on the treadmill every now and again (as an aside, winter needs to be over because I really and truly despise staring at a wall while I run).

I really know nothing at all about fitness. It's kind of embarrassing, actually. And I hate being sweaty (although I'm slowly learning to love the feeling that follows an extra long run).

I like eating though. I really, really like eating. And I hear a lot about the importance of protein post-workout. So while I am in plank position and spitting out every curse word that I have ever heard in my life (English or otherwise) I like to think about all the protein-rich food I get to eat at dinner.

My favourite in-YO-face-lovehandles-and-diabetes protein source is quinoa. We've been eating a lot of it lately. So, Thursday night was a Vegan Express night, with this quinoa-corn-scallions dish and an amazing, amazing, amazing combo of tempeh, veggies and miso mushroom gravy.

For the record, it's supposed to be a shiitake-miso and not a cremini-miso but I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price of shiitakes last week and decided to improvise.

4 comments:

taleoftwovegans said...

I too, have been trying to up my workouts from 'sloth' level (if only so I can eat lots of yummy food like that tempeh and gravy - it looks so good!) , but have come to the conclusion that I don't really like um, losing my breath. Somewhat of a hindrance to the whole working out thing, believe it or not. In any case, I haven't checked out Vegan Express, but these recipes sound great! -Eve

K said...

Haha, I like how it looks like we are spamming your blog, but I had to comment too! I was really hoping for a recipe because that looks so amazing! I have a block of tempeh in my fridge too. I might have to take a gander over to the library to see if they have Vegan Express.
Best of luck with the exercising and I think there are SO many people wishing for spring right along with you! :)

-K

The Voracious Vegan said...

Yay for breakin' a sweat! I love working out and I really love quinoa. It is such an awesome side dish, but it is also so much more than that. There's nothing it can't do!

Mary said...

Tale - I HATE losing my breath! You hid it right on the head. Maybe if I worked out a smidge more I wouldn't go into full on lungs-are-burning stage, but I just can't bring myself to do it lol.

K - I definitely, definitely recommend Vegan Express, especially for newer vegans or vegans who are constantly on a time crunch (GREAT for families). I know a lot of people post recipes in their blogs but I don't think it fair to make it available without the authors permission. But really, I have nothing but good things to say about this cookbook, if you can get your hands on one you won't be disappointed!

Voracious - It is the ultimate superfood! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails