Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jalapeno-Lime Hummus



Ah, hummus.

Out of all of a vegan's friends, hummus is the one we consider best. She's the one that always seems to be in our picnic baskets and bento boxes. She's the one we count on when we need a snack and we need it quickly. And when we're in unfamiliar party territory, there she is on the buffet table, letting us know that there is at least one vegan-friendly option for us to eat that night. She's fierce and she's loyal - the odds of someone messing with our best friend and combining her with meat or dairy are very low. As such, she is our best bet at not fainting from starvation at cocktail parties.

Not everyone likes hummus. When I was an omnivore I hated it. It just plain tasted weird to me. My sense of taste has undeniably changed since I went vegan and I notice a lot of things that I once-upon-a-time wrote off as too "weird" have since become my favourite foods. I wonder if there is some sort of science behind all of that? It's like when I went vegan someone hit the restart button on my tastebuds and I've discovered a whole new world of flavour that was unbeknownst to me as an omnivore, even though I may have sampled the very same menu item in the past.

Because hummus is our go-to gal (why am I referring to hummus in the feminine?) it's easy to get sick of her. It's like when you're a kid and you're so excited to have a slumber party with the best friend that you know you just can't live without, but at some point in the night you decide you are going to destroy her if she doesn't stop tapping her foot incessantly. Or chewing a certain way. Or breathing. It doesn't mean you love her any less, it just means that you can't hang out with her as much as you thought you could.

That's kind of how it is with hummus. Because it is the perfect vegan go-to item we often abuse our relationship. I know there have been points in my life where I thought I was going to throw up at the mere sight of hummus, after lunching on it every day for several weeks.

The solution? As it is with all things vegan - variety. Before I was vegan I didn't realize how many different kinds of hummus there were out there and so when the standard chickpea-tahini kind didn't float my boat I assumed that hummus wasn't for me.

Nowadays I know that there is a hummus out there for just about everyone. The one pictured above is jalapeno-lime hummus and rather than the more traditional tahini, this hummus is thickened with peanut butter. The recipe is found here at Gluten Free Goddess and I highly recommend that hummus lovers (and hummus haters) give it a try and see if it doesn't win you over. If it doesn't, don't give up on her completely; she just might blindside you one day with a flavour combination you never before considered.

3 comments:

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

That looks awesome! I love jalapenos and limes- must make this soon.

Allison, The Busy (Happy!) Vegan said...

PEANUT BUTTER? I don't know why I feel so shocked, considering sesame butter isn't so far off... but I'm shocked. I will definitely be trying this soon... my hummus needs a jumpstart :)

Mary said...

The peanut butter definitely blew our minds a little bit...as such I'm not sure die hard hummus traditionalists would enjoy this as much as we do, but because I'm not wildly crazy about plain tahini I thought it was a cool alternative!

Related Posts with Thumbnails