Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Coconut-Macademia Carrot Cake



I'm involved in an all-consuming love affair.

With carrot cake.

I have been for years and years. There is just something about it that trumps all other cakes. And it doesn't even matter what kind of carrot cake - what kind of ingredients you add, what kind of icing you use. Equally.

The tried and true way to my heart is through carrot cake. When we were 16 years old Paul showed up on my front porch with homemade carrot cake and I knew then and there that I would marry him someday. I'm so low maintenance...just keep a steady flow of sugar in my veins and I'm all good.

I am not allowed to make carrot cake without purpose. This was a rule that was developed in our home, out of necessity. Without it, it would be me and a fork and really high blood sugar several times a week.

We had some friends over for dinner and board games on Friday night and so I finally had my acceptable excuse to try the recipe for this particular carrot cake, found in Vegan with a Vengeance.

So it was obviously good, because I have never had a bad carrot cake in my life. Moist, flavourful, and the surprise macademia nuts strewn about the batter were by far the best part.

The icing was a bit problematic. In my infinite excitement over the prospect of getting to eat carrot cake for dessert, I misread the recipe for the icing and thus had no coconut milk on hand. I had no choice but to use rice milk, which obviously made it runny. So I combined it with extra Earth Balance to up the fat factor that was sorely lacking without coconut milk. It kind of worked, but the icing was still quite runny and thus I get zero points for presentation.



Bottom line is that while we do taste with our eyes, I can get past a hot mess of a cake if it tastes delicious. Which this did. So sloppy presentation aside, this cake is a win and I think you should all make it. I will definitely make it again and when that time comes I will not try and play scientist; I will get out of my pajamas and go buy a can of coconut milk and then it will look as lovely as it tastes.

9 comments:

Gosia said...

Hi! What coconut icing recipe did you use? I just looked through the Vegan with a Vengeance and couldn't find it. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but carrot cake holds a special spot in my heart :-)

forsakndestiiny said...

You so just made me want orange or pineapple coconut cake even more now! This looks delicious!!

Mary said...

Gosia - Page 227 of VwaV, the frosting is part of the recipe for coconut cupcakes.

Trina - thanks, it was amazing! I never used to like coconut but I am really coming around to it!

Melissa said...

Oh gosh this looks SO GOOD! Runny icing or not... YUM! I loooove carrot cake.

The best vegan one I ever had was at Fresh. I know you don't live in Toronto, so I'm not sure if you've ever been.. but if you find yourself in Toronto one day. 1) Go to Fresh. 2) Get the carrot cake. 3) Enjoy!

Coconut milk is wonderstuff! The best vegan ice cream I've had was coconut milk based.

Umm, I swear I eat non-dessert foods sometimes too haha

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

this is my favorite cake!! I use a coconut milk+coconut oil based icing on it and it is to die for.

Sweet @ Adventures in Veg said...

yum! the icing sorta looks like snow, and that's cool with me :)

such a cute story about you and Paul too - I met my boyfriend at that age also and we're still happily together! Young love, eh?

Mary said...

Melissa - I'm not too far from Toronto, and I've been to Fresh but haven't tried their carrot cake! I will have to add that to my list of things to try! Mmm coconut ice cream, I've never tried that one either, will have to keep an eye out for it!

Kuntrageous - that icing sounds delish!! I have just started to learn the wonders of coconut after foolishly avoiding it for a long time.

Sweet - I thought it looked like fluffy snow too! Might be cute for a Christmas cake next year. Yup, Paul and me are high school sweethearts...who says that teenagers don't know what they want :)

Alice said...

Enjoying your blog :) I'm a vegan from Vancouver, although I can't eat gluten or soy so it makes it a bit tricky for me to find recipes I can actually eat. My husband is vegan too. Looks like we have a bunch in common. That carrot cake looks spectacular - even though the icing is a tad droopy. I'm sure it tasted amazing. The coconut ice cream mentioned in the comments is my favourite. It's called Purely Decadent by Turtle Mountain. The cookie dough flavour is spectacular, and it's gluten free!

The Ordinary Vegetarian said...

I have been wanting to make this ever since I got Vegan With a Vengeance. Glad to hear that it is delicious (even if you didn't have the coconut milk) :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails