Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sesame Bok Choy and Carrot Stir-Fry



I can be a bit of a Picky Mickey when it comes to eating my leafy greens. Maturity is not one of my strong suits and I admit, I have been known to wrinkle my nose up at plates of steamed greens. But they are so good for you that it's pretty much irresponsible to not eat them at least a couple of times a week. As such, I've been slowly but surely learning to love my greens.

Leafy greens are an integral part of any diet because they are so high in calcium.

The majority of us were raised to believe that the only way to achieve strong bones for life was to consume cow's milk. I honestly thought cow's milk was the only way to get any sort of calcium, even up to a few years ago (my, how the school system has failed me).

Even as the public slowly but surely gets wise to this scam, the dairy industry continually threatens us and makes us second-guess what we know to be true - cow's milk and dairy are simply not necessary components of the human diet and calcium from vegetable sources is more easily absorbed by the human body than that which comes from animal sources. The amount of calcium you take in is far less important than the amount your body absorbs. Meaning you get more calcium-bang for your buck when you consume a vegetable-based source of it than that stinky old block of cheese (not to mention you're not getting the same daily dose of pus, antibiotics and negative energy that comes from the abuse and exploitation of millions of dairy cows in an effort to get that cheese to your table for less and less money). Further, it's pretty much common knowledge these days that Vitamin D is the magic bullet in bone density - not calcium (because it too aids in the absorption of the calcium that you do take in).

I've always been a straight-to-the-source kind of girl. While our culture assumes a permanent reliance on cow's milk and dairy products for calcium, I like to call attention to my favourite of the herbivorous creatures - that beautiful cow that we steal milk from. Where does she get her calcium? The answer - greens (although in these days of factory farms she is lucky if she gets fed anything green).

What makes the human race so special (arrogant?) that we think we need to take something from another animal to get what the earth freely provides us with? It really is baffling, when you stop and think about it. I'm not going to lie, it tends to keep me up at night.

I could go on for days, but I will leave that to the professionals who actually have the credentials necessary to report on this kind of thing.

I did have a point here, although it is escaping me now. So let's just tone down the controversial ranting and return to what we all agree on - deliciousness.

The recipe for this stir fry comes from the Calciyum cookbook. Bok choy is the star of the recipe, as a whopping 5 cups goes into the dish (pretty much the whole bunch you get at the supermarket). There is 140mg of calcium per one cup of bok choy, plus I served it over quinoa (rather than rice), which has a decent level of calcium as well (about 80mg per cup, not to mention the ridiculous amount of non-animal protein you are getting). I also sprinkled about two tablespoons worth of sesame seeds at the very end (an incredible 160mg of calcium).

Delicious support for your bones and body that doesn't rely on the mistreatment of animals. With more meals like this and continuous diligent research, we'll debunk the vegan = frail myth in no time.

2 comments:

Karen said...

ankedolSo glad to find ur blog! I am real excited to see others who love food and animal welfare just as much as I do..."this is vegan" inspires me! keep up the great work. I started a vegan food blog of my own and am charged to be able to share all my crazy thoughts and food obsessions also. Please check it out,@
4evervegan@blogspot.com

Mary said...

Sounds great, I'll check you out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails