Monday, May 3, 2010

Sweets and Treats (and Peanut Butter)



Boy-o-boy, when I fall off the wagon, I sure make it count. After breaking my No Peanut Butter for Two Months pact to make this pasta dish last week I found myself staring longingly at the PB jar for days afterward. It is for this reason that I'm an all-or-nothing kind of gal when it comes to food stuffs. There is no halfway veganism for me. There is no "cheating". For me, all cheating would do is make it all that much more difficult to re-commit at a later date (the first few weeks off of something are always the worst - why on earth put yourself through that again and again?!).

Anyway, I had to do some baking for various events. I also had to get the remaining peanut butter out of the house for the sake of my sanity (and these god forsaken five pounds I am trying to drop), so it was the perfect opportunity to whip out Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and experiment a bit. Meaning I could sample one or two of my creations and pawn the rest off on my friends. Win-win.

Pictured above are Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows (page 147 of VCIYCJ), which I brought to a BBQ this past Saturday. They were really tasty (especially when nuked in the microwave for 10 seconds or so prior to eating), but the best part was sampling the peanut butter batter (obviously).



Also from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar (page 129), I made these peanut butter blondies for a games night at a friend's place last weekend. Equally delicious (the blondies and the batter). About four hours after I finished baking them a lightbulb went off in my head and I realized they are called "blondies" because they are essentially light-coloured BROWNies. Um...duh?

I just wanted to call that fact to the attention of anyone who, like me, thought it was a EUREKA moment and then was stared at blankly by the other people in the room after announcing it. No one ever said I was the sharpest tool in the shed.



And while this is not peanut butter based (thank God), it still qualifies for the Sweets and Treats category - here is a picture of the walnut bread my grandma made me a couple weeks ago:

6 comments:

Jes said...

I *love* the pillows. I made some a few months ago and they were gone within two days! ;)

Addicted to Veggies said...

hey girlie - the second recipe down in this post was inspired by your yummy peanut butter pasta. thanks again for being so rad. <3
http://www.addictedtoveggies.com/2010/05/weekly-veggie-recipes-starring-broccoli.html

Mary said...

Jes - I was so impressed with not only the taste of the pillows, but how easy they were to make! They look too fancy to be a quick cookie :)

Addicted - thanks for the shout out, I love your blog so much and have already forwarded myself many recipes of yours to try out.

Mihl said...

A friend from the post punk kitchen made those pillows for me and mailed them. They were so good! Yours look pretty. And I want a slice of your grandma's walnut bread. Is there a chance she'll share the recipe?

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Heehee, I totally laughed when I saw that you were back on the peanut butter wagon. Good job pawning the stuff off on your friends... I'd have probably kept the cookies in my pantry... and gained 5 pounds.

The bread your g-ma made is so beautiful! I want to make a swirled bread, but I fear oven time is now over in Texas. 100 degree days, here we come!

Mary said...

Mihl - I would love to get you a copy of the recipe; the problem is that there IS no recipe! I'm pretty sure my grandma just wings it. I will see what I can do for you though!

Trinity - I am jealous of the heat you guys have but I definitely would miss my oven! July and August are really the only no-baking months around here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails