Thursday, June 3, 2010

Feel Better Soup



I'm sick.

Sigh.

Know that in surrendering to this admission I have made a giant psychological leap.

While I am a massive hypochondriac when it comes to the serious and more fatal of the diseases (everyday I have to remind myself that I have no reason to believe I have cancer, or ebola, or the flesh-eating disease, or some sort of vegan version of count choculitis), my mind does not have the same propensity for freaking out over the more minor and annoying of life's ailments. Like the common cold virus. Which is what I have.

I spent the last few days sneezing my brains out and assuring everyone around me that it was "just allergies". I received more than one strange glance from folks at work when, after coughing for ten minutes straight, I mused that I must be allergic to the air conditioner.

Today I began coughing up highly questionable and seriously disgusting matter of the fluorescent kind. Unless some sort of mystical entity has decided to colour my insides with a yellow highlighter without me being aware of it, all signs officially point to a chest cold.

That sucks, because I was on quite a commendable wellness streak, my last documented cold occuring in October 2007. And so the counter needs to be reset. This is what it must feel like to work in a factory and have to set the "______ days without an injury" sign back at zero.

My mom was kind enough to not only make me her famous soup, but also allow me to post the recipe for all of you too. I plan on having a bowl for dinner and heading straight to bed.

Only I would stay perfectly healthy throughout an entire "swine flu" winter and then get sick in the middle of a heatwave.

Feel Better Soup

4-6 cups of water in which you have boiled 1 vegetable bouillon cube - keep warm
1 tsp oil
1 small onion finely diced
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 garlic clove finely minced
2 potatoes cut into quarters & finely sliced
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 celery rib, finely diced
1 parsnip, peeled & grated
1 can kidney beans
1/2 cup rice, more or less according to taste

1) In a large pot, saute the onion in the oil until soft. Add the paprika and the rest of the vegetables. Keep mixing the vegetables until the potatoes are tender and begin to get a bit mushy. Add a little of the broth so that it doesn't stick.

2) When the potatoes are tender add the rest of the broth bring to a boil. Add the rice and beans and cook until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Top with freshly cracked black pepper (this is my favourite way to eat it when sick - clears up the sinus cavity) and serve.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails