Sunday, June 6, 2010

Grilled Veggie Fajitas



When I woke up yesterday morning I was feeling much better than I had been all week, and the sun was shining, AND I had the day off work (a rarity, as I typically work every Saturday morning) so I talked Paul into a trip to the farmer's market. We came home with an insane amount of local produce (most of which was from local greenhouses because it's still quite early, but local is local).



It looked so good and I wanted to eat it all immediately, so it was the perfect night for one of my no-recipe-required favourites: grilled veggie fajitas!

We tossed broccoli, asparagus, yellow squash, onion and green pepper in some bbq sauce and fired up the grill.



We served up the veggie mix on Ezekiel tortillas and topped them off with freshly diced tomato, cucumber and avocado. And a bottle of Jackson-Triggs white to drink!



While the fresh veggies were an added bonus, the real reason I wanted to head to the market was for some fresh Ontario strawberries and rhubarb, because I had cobbler on the brain.





Look at the size of that rhubarb!


I always set out to make fruity pies because they are so much daintier and make for much nicer blog photos but I always end up going the way of the cobbler, because it is easier and quicker and tastes just as great (if not more great).



We topped the cobbler with Larry and Luna's Coconut Bliss ice cream (Vanilla Island flavour). I have been raving about their popsicles for a couple of weeks now and I can say with just as much assertion that their ice cream is awesome too.



We spent hours out on the patio with our dinner, dessert, wine and an all Bob Dylan playlist until the rain finally forced us inside. Even our typically hyperactive Dora can appreciate the mellowness of a late spring evening:

7 comments:

Chrissy (The New Me) said...

I think you must be channeling my stomach. I've been craving both veggie fajitas AND strawberry rhubarb ANYTHING for days now. Surely this is a sign that I must now make both these things immediately! :)

vanilla finnegan said...

Those fajitas look awesome! Did you know I've never heard of a vegetable fajita? I have to try this. Thank you!
btw- that dessert look delicious!
Sounds like you had an awesome day. :)

carrots,
the veggie girl

The Voracious Vegan said...

This post is so, so beautiful. Your food looks fresh and delicious, the way you describe the peaceful evening on the back porch has me swooning. I wish I could be there!

Your cobbler looks spectacular. I'm going to have to see if I can find any rhubarb here, because I've been hearing a lot about it lately and it looks and sounds delicious!

Anavar said...

Everything looks so delicious! If I had someone to cook for me, I will be vegan instantly, because I love vegetables.

Mary said...

Chrissy - Everytime the weather turns a bit warm, my mind goes straight to strawberries and rhubarb!

Voracious - I hope you can find some rhubarb! Around here it is absolutely everywhere, for the time being...I'm so surprised that I hadn't tried it until last year. I've only ever had it in pies and cobblers, but I've heard great things about rhubarb smoothies and slushies too!

Kiley @ Coconut Bliss said...

Thank you so much for the Coconut Bliss shout out-I was doing a search for vegan fajitas to share on our Facebook page and imagine my surprise to find us on the same post.
Thanks again,
Kiley

Mary said...

Kiley - You're very welcome! Thanks for making such an amazing product. I also expressed my love for the chocolate popsicles a couple months ago: http://thisisvegan.blogspot.com/2010/05/fusili-in-yellow-pepper-rouille.html :) Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails