Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pineapple Right-Side-Up Cupcakes (for Father's Day)



We spent the afternoon poolside at my brother and sister-in-law's place. I definitely stuffed my face full of entirely too much green bean casserole, moroccan phyllo rolls (courtesy of my mom and found in Eat, Drink and Be Vegan) and potato salad and I even got a little bit of sun.

I had planned to bring a dessert, but I wanted to try something new this time. I chose these pineapple cupcakes (on page 70 of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World) because the page caption literally described the afternoon we were planning for: "These are sublime summertime cupcakes, perfect straight out of the fridge and eaten while lounging about poolside".

I always think my cookbooks are singling me out and in this case it appears that they actually were.

Truth is, I wasn't all that keen on them as cupcakes at first, but it's not because they tasted bad or anything. They were actually pretty good. I don't know, I just think of the cupcakes of my youth with their teeth-rotting fluffy icing and insanely moist texture. These are definitely heavier and having never actually had a pineapple upside-down cake before, I didn't realize that they were not meant to be light and airy until after I made them (and Paul described to me exactly what pineapple upside-down cake is).

Again, it's not that they were bad by any means, it's just that when you are expecting something other than what you have in front of you it kind of hits you by surprise. The cool thing is that they are completely soy free and use minimal amounts of the bad stuff (read: sugar) so you can feel a little less guilty about eating them than the typical buttercream style this cookbook is famous for. I'd almost refer to them as muffins, and as muffins I love them. So it's not about the cupcakes per say; it's about my own neuroses and games of semantics.

Plus, look how pretty and summery they look! They are perfect for cookouts and cottage excursions and sitting on blankets waiting for fireworks to start (isn't summer the BEST?!).

We had a lovely day of sunshine and now I fully intend to ingest all sorts of leftovers while watching Six Feet Under (I live in a tv time machine - I never get into shows until years after they become famous).



My brothers, my dad and me - Father's Day, 2010

6 comments:

SSheilah said...

Interesting post! I made these cupcakes for my brother not long ago. As you say, they're quite different from a standard cupcake but still very good. The pineapple topping reminded me of a canned pie filling - I missed the dark-brown caramelized flavor that the pineapple in the traditional cake has. Next time, I'll fix that!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Those do look gorgeous! I have to make them for myself now, the way you described them has intrigued me. Looks like you all had a wonderful day, the food sounds delicious.

Jessica @ Lima's Vegan Kitchen said...

These look great! Im going to pick up this cook book soon and I really cant wait to make these. Awesome pic.

Mary said...

Ssheilah - Pie filling is the perfect description of the topping, I couldn't agree more!

Voracious - Give them a try and let me know what you think. I know I shouldn't eat cupcakes for breakfast but because they are so reminiscent of muffins I definitely had one this morning ;)

Jessica - I couldn't speak more highly of the cookbook. Every recipe I've tried from there has gotten rave reviews!

Mihl said...

I never made those but they look so beautiful!

Amanda said...

These cupcakes look beautiful! I haven't made these cupcakes yet but now seeing how bright and cheery they look I may have to! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails