Friday, July 9, 2010

Thai Peanut Burger Wraps & Spicy Thai Salad



It's been awhile since I've had a substantial kitchen fail, so I guess I'm overdue.

My relationship with all things burger-like just isn't working out. Why do I never learn my lesson?

The recipe for these Thai Peanut Burger wraps is from Vegan Planet and it comes highly recommended by several people in and around the blogosphere. I gave it a try a few days ago and like everytime I try to make burgers from scratch, I could not get them to hold together. At all. Not even a little bit. In fact, the crumbly little ball you see in the photo posted above was the only salvageable patty out of the whole lot.

I just don't understand how I can be so terrible at this. I've seen many pictures of this exact same dish turning out perfectly fine. Because everyone else seems to be able to handle the recipe, I'm going to take full responsibility for this failure and note that from now on I should probably leave burger making to the professionals.

The real bugger of it all is that it tasted quite good - the peanut sauce (also found in Vegan Planet) is quite a gem; I think I'll make it again as a dipping sauce for my spring rolls. I suppose I could make the burgers again as "burger crumbles" instead of attempting actual patties, as they are just going into a pita or wrap anyway.

While I don't post recipes that are not my own on this blog, I did find the recipe for these burgers online, if anyone out there without Vegan Planet wants to give it a whirl - let me know where I went wrong!



Because we are in the tail end of a completely ridiculous heat wave, there is no time like the present to try incorporating more raw into my diet. I made this salad as an accompaniment to the burgers. I have no concept of how much vegetable I am actually chopping whilst I am doing it and you can see that this salad ended up being absolutely massive.

It tasted good, but why is that whenever I making anything with even the slightest bit of avocado, the avo is the only thing that I taste? This is the third or fourth raw salad dressing I've tried that lists avocado among ingredients and they all have kind of tasted the same. I must be using too large of an avocado.

The recipe is courtesy of Choosing Raw and it is found here.

7 comments:

Stonzi said...

That's my kind of salad!

I can't get burgers to stay together either. I don't know what it is. Similarly, I tried to make faux crab cakes from a recipe in either The Conscious Cook or Urban Vegan. I can't remember. The picture showed these lovely fried golden patties. My husband managed to make them but I ended up with a giant (albeit delicious) bowl of tofu mush.

I've come to the conclusion that on the rare occasion, when the planets are aligned just right, burgers and faux crab cakes work. The rest of the time you just end up with a pile of tasty mush. lol :)

Mand said...

I can not get anything to stick together, not just burgers. I tried to make lentil-balls and it turned out to be more of a lentil sloppy joe than ball!

Anardana said...

I know what you mean about crumbly burgers.. my best tip is to really squeeze the raw burger in your hands before putting it in the pan, and then to not touch it until the bottom side is really cooked. Flip it once, and be gentle.

Jessica @ Lima's Vegan Kitchen said...

I've yet to jump on the 'make your own burgers' wagon but I feel like this is something that would happen to me. Regardless though, it still looks delicious!

RunLonger said...

I'll give you this: "Thai peanut burger wraps" SOUNDS really good! And Robin Robertson is a genius with peanut butter;) But I had your same problem with the famous "chickpea cutlets" from Veganomicon - they did not work for me...ru

Mary said...

Stonzi - As long as it's tasty mush, I guess we shouldn't complain! It may not make for a nice photo but deliciousness is never overrated.

Mand - have you tried the lentilball recipe from My Vegan Cookbook? http://www.myvegancookbook.com/blog/?p=64 I've had really good luck with it!

Anardana - great tip, I will give that a try next time!

Jessica - thanks...I think I'm going to leave it to the pros from now on!

RunLonger - surprisingly I've had great luck with the veganomicon cutlets and almost everything similar that I've tried UNLESS it has "burger" in the title! So strange!

Elaine Shandra said...

Are you OK with gluten? If you put a little gluten in the mix, I bet it would stick together pretty well. I've used a "sausage" recipe made from gluten and it sticks together extremely well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails