Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dulce Sin Leche Cupcakes (and a Bachelorette)



I spent the weekend up north in Blue Mountain, Ontario for my friend Sam's bachelorette.

We had an an incredibly dicey drive up. My GPS randomly decided to turn itself off and because we were talking away I didn't notice for several minutes and apparently they were the most imperative minutes of the drive because we missed highway 24 entirely and instead ended up taking dirt roads the entire way. At one point were driving what I am still convinced was a bike path with ATVs passing us the entire way. I'm not going to lie, I was fairly convinced that said GPS was taking us out into the middle of nowhere with plans to kill us. It made me think of when the GPS made Michael Scott from The Office drive into the lake and in that moment I vowed never to trust technology again. And then I remembered that I don't know how to read maps, so odds are my fate is someday going to be at the whim of that electronic contraption yet again.

I made cupcakes to bring up. Because I always make cupcakes. Plus I was abandoning Paul for the seven hundredth time this summer and felt a bit guilty, so I wanted to leave some behind for him.

I wanted to try something new, so this is the first time I made these cupcakes. I went a bit crazy with the caramel topping (which is made with brown rice syrup so I got to use what was leftover from the breakfast bars I made for a camping trip earlier in the summer), so they turned into a bit of a sticky mess. But isn't that half the fun of caramel?

I think my favourite part of this recipe was the use of coconut milk. I have become incredibly obsessed with coconut milk as of late. It adds just a little creamy bit of somethin' somethin' to everything it finds its way too and I can't get enough. These were by far the most moist (moistest?) cupcakes I have ever had in my life and have subsequently displaced Boston VS Brooklyn Cream Pie as my favourite cupcakes ever.

Find the recipe in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.



Me and the beautiful bride-to-be!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I want to make those cupcakes now! Your blog looks great! I'm a fellow Ontarien in Sudbury :)

Mary said...

Melissa - Definitely give them a try, you won't be disappointed!

Health Blog said...

This is the Dulce Sin Leche recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Now this is supposed to be for cupcakes so I'm not sure how the texture will work out for the pie. I've never tried it, but everything I've had from this book has been amazing.

Mary said...

Health - I was thinking to myself that next time I'm going to try and make it as an actual cake - I will let you know how it goes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails