Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Grilled Jerk Portobello Steaks & Messy Rice



I tried to make a BBQ dinner out of these portobello mushrooms for several days and was rained out every single time. The day could be perfectly sunny and mild and when the quitting bell would finally ring the clouds would roll in and it would start to rain. (Note: my work does not have a real quitting bell, there is just one that goes off in my head every evening at 6:15pm. However, I do quite often find myself having the urge to yell "yabadabado" as I lock up the clinic.)

These portobellos sat in the fridge for a week. I was starting to seriously question their freshness and I had officially run out of all other foodstuffs from the previous grocery trip. Portos are kind of expensive, so there was no way I was going to let them end up in the trash. As such, yesterday I declared that no matter what kind of chaos Mother Nature unleashed on us, I was going to grill those freaking mushrooms for dinner.

Like clockwork, the clouds came in at about 6:15. But I have a great husband and he volunteered to stand out in the rain and grill them for me.



I made a rub out of some of the Jamican jerk seasoning that I usually reserve for seitan. I brushed each portobello with a little olive oil and hot sauce and then got as much of the rub on each mushroom as possible.

The recipe for the messy rice comes from Veganomicon, and thanks to Google Books, it's actually available to those of you who don't have the book simply by clicking here.

It's now the day after I used up the mushrooms and it is quickly approaching the end of the workday. There is not a cloud in sight.

4 comments:

Mihl said...

Portobellos are rare her. A couple of days I saw some in the grocery store. I didn't pick them up because I didn't know what to do with them. Ha, I hope they still have some, this looks wonderful!

Rebecca said...

Yesterday, we bought some portobello mushrooms at the grocery store! I will definitely try to use them for this recipe.. :) looks delicious!

Bliss Doubt said...

At my office, at 5pm, we say yabadabadoo too.

I like portobellos for veggie burgers but they shoot out of the bun when you bite down.

Mary said...

Mihl - I'm not really big on mushrooms, but grilled portobellos are one of my favourite dishes. They are also great slathered in bbq sauce!

Rebecca - Hope you enjoy it!

Bliss - Since I have failed to find a decent grill-able homemade veggie burger recipe, we have been relying on portos for our hamburgers too. I find the key to keeping them in the bun is "smooshing" them nice and flat while they are being grilled. I also put them on the buns upside down so that they are almost like a little bowl for toppings (my fave: red onion, tomatoes and avocado).

Related Posts with Thumbnails