Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Minonos



On Saturday morning I got it in my head that I wanted to bake. I was craving some sort of a sugar high, which is rare for me, because when it comes to junk food I am far more likely to be found salivating over the salty, deep-fried variety than over cookies or cakes. Regardless, I've been wanting to satiate my sweet tooth for a couple weeks now, but it has just been entirely too hot to be fussing in a kitchen with the oven on.

Saturday night's plans consisted of driving out to the boonies and sitting around a camp fire, so I figured it was the perfect time to bake (so that I could sample one or two cookies and pawn the rest off on my friends). Plus it was a cooler morning than usual for summertime, so I didn't mind turning on the oven.

Although I am an obsessive cupcaker, I felt more like baking cookies of some sort on Saturday.

This is always a recipe for disaster because I positively suck at making cookies. I honestly do not know what the problem is - I can execute cakes (both cup and full size) to near perfection, but those freaking cookies get the best of me. Every. Single. Time.

I hadn't really planned on baking cookies this weekend so my ingredient supply was somewhat low. I flipped through Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and jumped on the first recipe that I had all the supplies for: Minonos.

Minonos are the vegan knock-off of the Pepperidge Farm favourite Milanos - a layer of chocolate sandwiched between two cookies. Simple enough.

So I make the dough and (kind of) form it into the appropriate oval shapes. The recipes says to bake for 14-16 minutes, so I toss them in and set the timer. At which time I find myself on Facebook, most likely gawking at something that is not my business, which always takes more time than you think it will. I notice the delicious aroma wafting its away upstairs and into my office and I glance at the clock - only 10 minutes had passed so I figure that there is no way they were done.

I finish gawking and head back downstairs. The timer still has two minutes on it and the cookies are burnt to a gosh darn crisp. Except "gosh darn" are not the words I use when I pull them out of the oven.

Fine. Fair enough. I messed up. I should have kept a better eye on them because the first rule of baking is that every oven is different when it comes to baking times.

I throw a minor hissy fit and then put the second batch in the oven. This time I sit and stare into said oven for the entire 14 minutes and they don't so much as slightly turn golden. 20 minutes go by and still nothing.

At this point I am so consumed by rage that I conjure up a conspiracy theory regarding my oven and those demons over at Maytag. I determine that they must be anti-vegans who are trying to mess up our cause, one cookie at a time.

Then I realize that when I went to turn off the oven timer in my earlier hissy fit, I had actually turned the oven off. Dummy.

I managed to salvage the partially cooked second batch and half of the burnt batch, but they were quite possibly the ugliest looking cookies that have ever existed on this earth. Onto the chocolate.

The book says to dip each cookie in melted chocolate and then smoosh them together. This turned into one hell of a messy affair. Doing it this way is definitely a two person job: one person to dip and one person to smoosh. Otherwise you end up with chocolate all over the place and your cookies look like this hot mess:



I found it much easier to spoon the chocolate onto each piece. Of course I discovered this after I had done the majority of the cookies so I was only able to salvage a lousy three to take a photo of and even those are pretty horrible looking.

Needless to say, they didn't make it to the campgrounds. I think I'd better stick to cupcakes and leave the cookie making to the professionals.

At least Saturday night was fun!

6 comments:

Mihl said...

I bet these taste good! Oh and, let's move together because most cookies hate me too ;)

SSheilah said...

Me three! I don't even try anymore - muffins, cakes, pies, oh yeah! -- but cookies? No. What is it with them?!

Sweet @ Adventures in Veg said...

Awww! you poor thing! that was a funny post - I feel your pain when it comes to baking fails! They look like they tasted nice though :)

Mary said...

Mihl - I guess when it comes down to it, even ugly cookies can be delicious!

Ssheilah - Honestly, what IS it with them!? They are way too fussy for my liking.

Sweet - that's the good thing, they looked horrendous but they tasted delicious!

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

how did they taste, though?? :)

Karen said...

they still look delicious! i just moved and am experimenting with my oven, too. i think it's off (seriously) by 150 degrees F!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails