Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Recipe Double Header: Bean & Corn Tortilla Lasagna / Mexicali Chop



I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a pack of Food For Life organic sprouted whole corn tortillas in the freezer aisle of my supermarket. Couldn't believe it! While I'm not gluten-free, I don't understand why many of the conventional corn tortilla brands load their products full of wheat flour - hello, they are supposed to be CORN tortillas! Not to mention that the ridiculous quanitities of preservatives, oils and sodium that go into the standard brands give me the heeby jeebies.

Let's be honest, corn tortillas aren't exactly a health food, but choosing the Food for Life brand as opposed to many of the others out there is certainly the lesser of the evils. Let's compare ingredient lists:

"Food for Life": Organic Sprouted Corn, Filtered Water, Sea Salt, and Lime

"Popular Mainstream Brand Named After a Texas Town": Corn Flour (29%) , Wheat Flour, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Stabiliser: Glycerol, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dextrose, Raising Agents: 450a, E500, Emulsifiers: E471, E466 , Preservative: E202, Acidulant: Citric Acid, Flour Treatment Agent: E920

Uh, the choice is pretty clear to me.

I don't even know what the hell most of the crap listed up there is and there is no guarantee that the glycerol doesn't come from animal fat so there is a good chance it's not vegan-friendly anyway. So as you can see, while corn tortillas have been available to me I have refused to cook with such an unnecessary frankenfood.

Until now!

The first thing I made with the sprouted corn tortillas was the Bean and Corn Tortilla Lasagna from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan:



Corn, black beans, avocado, baked tortilla chips, chipotles and a spicy arribiata tomato sauce that I had kicking around made for one of the best Mexican style meals we've had in a long time. The sprinkling of Daiya on top didn't hurt either.

I highly, highly encourage you to go out and pick up Eat, Drink and Be Vegan (if this lasagna doesn't convince you, click on the "Eat, Drink and Be Vegan" tag on this blog for more deliciousness). However, if you want to try this recipe out beforehand, the recipe is posted here.



I had a few corn tortillas left over from the lasagna so I made the Mexicali Chop printed in the July/August 2010 edition of Vegetarian Times. Mexican salads can be pretty dangerous when you order them in restaurants but making them at home ensures you can bake (not fry) the tortillas and go light on the dressing.

Click here for the recipe.

P.S. You have just under 48 hours to enter in the Sullivan & Sawyer Baby Co. giveaway! I will be drawing a winner on Friday morning. Good luck!

5 comments:

The Future Dr. B-S said...

That looks so amazing! I have vive le vegan - but this recipe may make me invest in eat drink! Awesome!

Jessica @ Lima's Vegan Kitchen said...

Oh.My.God. This looks too good to be true!

Karen said...

I love mexican food! will try and make this soon!

Mary said...

Future - I've been meaning to pick up Vive le Vegan! I have nothing but great things to say about Dreena Burton.

Jessica - It really did seem to good to be true. I am a sucker for anything mexican inspired and the Daiya just tops it all off!

Karen - Hope you enjoy it!

Rebecca said...

Mmm.. i love mexican food! Looks great :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails