Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Another Lunch at Cafe Pyrus, Kitchener



I know it hasn't been that long since I blogged about Cafe Pyrus, downtown Kitchener's newest vegetarian eatery, but Paul and I found ourselves near their location on Charles Street while running errands this past Saturday. That place is like a magnet, I swear. We hadn't intended on having lunch downtown, but when we realized how close we were, it's like we had no choice but to go in.

Because we had no intention of grabbing lunch I forgot to bring my camera. Fortunately, the iPhone camera is pretty gosh darn decent, so you get to take a peek at what we ate anyway.

I had the open-faced mango sandwich pictured above. Me and The Mango embarked on quite the love affair this past summer. Like any summer love, I'm having a hard time letting go. The sandwich also had some fresh veggies, this amazing creamy garlic sauce and melted mozzarella Daiya on the fluffiest of breads.

This sandwich is too good for this world.

Now, before I continue, there is something you should understand about my husband.

My Paul is what I like to call an Ethical Foodie.

This guy loves food in all its varied forms and I have never seen him refuse to try any item that adheres to his ethical diet, regardless of how weird or off-the-beaten-path it is.

As such, he refuses to waste any veg-friendly food opportunity brought to his attention.

It's a good thing that he is, in fact, a bottomless pit. I've seen him consume several people's worth of food in one sitting and still not be full.

The infuriating part of all this is that the guy doesn't really ever gain weight. As long as it's vegan, he can eat whatever he wants in whatever ridiculous quantity and his waist size stays the same. This was not the case when he was a meat-eater.

Not that I endorse this behaviour, nor is it a reality for the most of us, myself included. If Paul's metabolism is the gazelle, mine is the three-toed sloth.

For years, there's something we have affectionately referred to as the "Paul Special" and it is the only thing that comes close to appeasing his appetite. Named after the "Joey Tribbiani Special" (which is two pizzas), the Paul Special is two restaurant meals. Here are the two meals he selected on Saturday:



Pad Thai

and



a build-your-own sandwich of the tempeh variety!


We actually kicked the Paul Special up a notch on Saturday and even got dessert - some of those famous Pyrus weekend pancakes I blogged about last time - they are entirely too difficult to pass up.

I'd like to thank the Cafe Pyrus staff for not only feeding us, but also for not making a big deal over the fact that we ordered enough food to feed a football team. Thanks guys!

Cafe Pyrus
14 Charles St W
Kitchener, ON
(519) 954-7705

4 comments:

.nicole. said...

Hey Mary,

A friend of my boyfriend actually owns the cafe. It's so nice to her that you're enjoying it. We'll have to let him know!

Of.Varied.Interests said...

Mango sandwich *drool*!

Bliss Doubt said...

I want a bite!

I have the metabolism of the three-toed sloth too.

Maybe your Paul is like a camel. He fills up and then doesn't eat much the next few days?

Mary said...

Nicole - please do, I love it there!

Of - Mango anything = drool!

Bliss - That's the funny thing about Paul, he fills up like the camel and feels stuffed for all of an hour but then he is back picking around the kitchen cupboards again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails