Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tex Mex Quesadillas



What is not to love about the almighty quesadilla. It's easy to make. It's versatile. It gives you an excuse to eat an entire jar of extra hot salsa all by your lonesome.

And it is the reason that after my meat eating days were over, I decided to keep my Foreman grill. I know you're supposed to pan fry quesadillas, but I have never been able to master the "flip" technique (especially when there is no cheese to hold the quesadilla together). Attempting to flip them in a pan usually results in the dog getting more of the filling than the quesadilla itself, and also guarantees that the floor needs to be washed immediately after dinner.

On the Foreman you just lay them out and close the lid - both sides get done simultaneously, meaning you can eat your dinner in a sweet five minutes and get back to what really matters - your recliner and the Big Bang Theory.



Alright, I have another slightly plagiarized recipe for you BUT only because when I copied and pasted it into my email a year ago I forgot to include the source and similarly, I forgot what it was I changed about it. I want to say it comes from helloveggie.org, but I cannot for the life of me find the link to the recipe on there. Either I am mistaken, or it has been removed - either way, here it is for you until I can find a way to direct you to the author of it. If I get sued I expect all of you to chip in for lawyer fees.

Tex Mex Quesadillas

1 can black beans
1 cup brown rice, cooked in 2 cups vegetable stock
4 tortillas (I used Ezekiel)
1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
1/4 cup water
1 bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
Cayenne and black pepper, to taste
Salsa - for serving

1) In a large saucepan, steam onions in a little bit of water. Add the bell pepper and cook for a few minutes, so that the pepper is soft but still has a crunch to it.

2) Drain black beans and add them and the corn to the pan. Add rice, water and all the seasonings. Cook for 5-10 minutes at medium low.



3) Preheat Foreman grill to 425F. Spread 1/4 of the mixture onto half of each tortilla. Fold the remaining side over. Lightly spray cooking oil on the grill and place quesadillas on it. Cook for five minutes, or until the tortilla takes on a golden colour. (Or you can lightly spray a frying pan with a bit of cooking oil and carefully grill each side of the quesadilla for about five minutes). Serve with salsa. Or vegan sour cream. Or guacamole. Or all of the above.

P.S. These quesadillas would go great with some shredded Daiya tossed in prior to grilling. However, I have proven time and again that I cannot be responsible regarding the amount of Daiya I consume on any given day. Until I am able to get my addiction under control (or come across enough money to buy an entire wardrobe two sizes up), I have forbidden myself to have easily accessible Daiya in my refrigerator. Have no fear - I do promise you I will return with more Daiya-inspired recipes soon.

4 comments:

Mihl said...

It's a shame, I never had a quesadilla. I think you just convinced me I need to make some.

The Voracious Vegan said...

I love love love quesadillas! Tortillas make my world go 'round! But, I've never thought to make them on my grill! What a brilliant, delicious idea. Thanks!

Mary said...

Mihl - I hope you enjoy them, they are one of my favourite foods in all their varieties!

Voracious - I find doing them on the grill is so much cleaner and more efficient than the pan (half the time in a sandwich press/Foreman, as there is no need to flip!). In the summertime I'll even do them on the barbeque to get those yummy char marks.

Marta said...

love the Big Bang Theory! and must try this Cafe Pyrus, I live in Kdubs. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails