Sunday, September 19, 2010

This is 27



I'm not great with birthdays.

Okay, that is an understatement. I am actually really, really horrible with birthdays. I have never liked them. Not now. Not as a child. I actually cried when I turned 13 because I thought life was going by too quickly.

So you can see why making the official leap into the god forsaken "late twenties" territory is quite traumatizing for me.

When I was in high school Kevin Richardson from the Backstreet Boys was 25 and I was convinced that he was pretty much the oldest person on the planet. I am that plus TWO now! How did this HAPPEN!

I typically tend to compensate for this (and any other) psychological instability by over indulging in food and alcohol. It's grossly counterproductive, really. I turn a year older and behave in such a way that when all is said and done I actually look and feel TEN years older.

This is the story of what I did in order to forget that I am three years away from 30.

I had to work on my actual birthday, but went out for a sushi lunch with my darling husband:



We go to Sushi Star at lunch because all-you-can-eat is only $12 - at dinner it's $20! I cannot justify the extra $16, especially since the vegan items are the same at lunch and at dinner.



Quite possibly my favourite thing on the menu - mango rolls!



The cutest little tofu hats you ever did see



Avocado and cucumber hand roll



Spicy udon bowl



Avocado and pineapple roll



Fried tofu cubes


I had a long day at work and all I wanted to do with my evening was vegetate in front of the TV (watching Lost, which Paul got me on blu-ray! Hurray!). Paul surprised me with a carrot cake, which he adapted from the carrot cupcake recipe found in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.





Paul also arranged a little Saturday night gathering of our friends to further ease the birthday blow:



The girls!



The boys!



The cookies and cream cupcakes!



The awesome t-shirt I got from my friend Samcha!



After cake we headed to the local watering hole for a little dancing and romancing.


Much thanks to my beautiful friends for celebrating with me. And now, back to trying to live a somewhat healthy existence.....................

Sushi Stars
450 King St E
Kitchener, ON N2G 2L6
(519) 584-2341

6 comments:

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler said...

Looks like you had a great birthday! I'm jealous of your sushi options. Veggie sushi near me isn't nearly that exotic! (Mango? Pineapple?!) The cake and cupcakes look divine, too.

I'm also a little weird about birthdays. In just a few more weeks, I, too, will be entering "the late twenties," but honestly, I still feel like a teenager. I have no idea what I want to be when I "grow up," other than NOT "grow up!"

diverchickee said...

OMGosh - best sushi place ever - I am soooo jealous!!! The Mango rolls look amazing as does the fried tofu - oh how I wish there were something like that near me :( Boo!

I just added you to my blog list, hope that's ok. Your blog is a joy to read.

I totally get the b-day feeling too - I freaked at my 30th! Thought I should have my life all sorted & it was far from it. But it only took 3 weeks & I was groovin again & all good with being older & wise (not!) ha!

Cheers, happy vegan eating! :)

Laura said...

Oh man, I didn't realize Sushi Star could do vegan udon! My friends love all you can eat sushi, I should have some next time. And mango rolls! mmm!!

Happy birthday!! I am just starting my "mid-twenties" and it all seems so silly- changes in my thinking and such seem to be in fits and starts, rather than via any time period, really.

Mihl said...

Happy birthday! The cake looks stellar!

Addicted to Veggies said...

You are SO FRACKING cute!! Happy birthday girlie - and cheers to another year wiser!

xoxo
S

Mary said...

Amanda - thank you! As an omnivore I had never tried sushi and as a vegan I always assumed there would be nothing for me to eat...I was so surprised to see that the sushi restos are some of the most vegan friendly places to eat in my town. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have begun my love affair with the mango...which the husband affectionately refers to as my "mistress". I hear you about the birthday thing too - I've done university...graduate school...and the more school I do the less sure I am about what I want to be when I grow up. Keeps things interesting!

diver - if you ever get a chance to try ANYTHING with mango in it at a sushi restaurant, give it a shot...it goes so well with the rice! Thank you so much for the add, I'm glad you enjoy the blog :)

Laura - yup, the staff confirmed it was veg friendly, I was so excited! I love udon so much and when I make it at home it's no where near as good as at a resto.

Mihl - thank you! The husband did a great job!

Addicted - thank you my dear!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails