Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween 2010



For Halloween this year I decided to forgo the pumpkin cupcakes I usually make and instead baked up a batch of sugar cookies. I don't really know why I did this because I absolutely despise making cookies. It can be so tedious - the rolling, cutting, rolling again...the baking, the burning, the freaking out and the subsequent throwing out process is entirely too repetitive and entirely too stressful. But, every now and again I do like to mix up the treats I provide my people.

The recipe for these cookies came from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and they were pretty good, but I did find them too sugary.

Which, admittedly, is a bit of a ridiculous criticsm to make of a sugar cookie, but I just found the sweetness overwhelming to the point of headache and toothache. I think if I make them again I will skip the icing process (and unfortunately cut the cuteness quotient down a notch). Instead, I'll probably just sprinkle them with some sugar before baking.

I hope you all had a wonderful Halloween and aren't feeling the sugar low today (I know I sure am - damn you Swedish Berries!). We had an awesome time first at our place, and then at Starlight in uptown Waterloo (where the DJ had a crazy old school dance party going on that made us old folks reminiscent of our high school days).



Paul's pumpkin carving stylings - the 2010 additions being Jason and Devil Flanders! (to go along with Jack Skellington and Michael Myers, whom you can't see because he had a strobe light in him that couldn't be picked up by the camera).



The amazing pumpkin punch bowl made by my dear friend Lisa.



Me and Paul, as Princess Peach and Super Mario!



The Queen of Hearts and good old Richard Nixon



Edward Scissorhands and Mr. Peanut, quite the couple



The girls



DOMO!



What an awesome night - thanks to all our great friends for coming out and to Starlight for throwing such a great Halloween party! (And I didn't even have to see a single Lady Gaga dress!)

Can't wait until next year!

4 comments:

Mihl said...

Happy halloween! I am sorry the cookies came out too sweet. They look great though!

Of.Varied.Interests said...

Awesome party! You and I were on the same page-literally! I made the same cookies, but sans frosting and they were perfect. To make them fancy, I separated the dough in three-left one white, coloured one yellow and one orange. Them rolled them into snake shapes, squished together and rolled. Candy corn ta da!

Brandi said...

Wow! those are one heck of a bunch of Halloween costumes. They look amazing everyone of them.

Mary said...

Mihl - Thank you! No one else seemed to think they were too sweet, I think I may just be too sensitive to sugar.

Of - That's a great idea, I just might make Christmas candy corn cookies next month!

Brandi - Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails