Monday, November 8, 2010

Tuscan White Bean Stew



Soup/Stew season is here and I am loving every minute of it.

Paul made this stew for dinner one night last week. The recipe is from VeganYumYum and you can find the direct link to it here.

The recipe serves two and once it was already cooking we were a little bit nervous, because the pot looked suspiciously empty.

Alarmingly empty.

We were pretty convinced that it wouldn't be enough to satisfy us two gluttons after a long work day and so I made some last minute buttery toast to go with it but the stew ended up being really, really filling. I don't know if it was the beans, or the potatoes, or the copious amounts of seitan (we definitely put in twice as much as it called for).

As an aside, it would be really, really great if someone in the Kitchener-Waterloo region started carrying pre-made seitan. I suck at making it. And it is very time consuming, but not so great when frozen and defrosted. This means that when I do make it we end up eating seitan for several consecutive meals. But let's be honest, nobody needs that much gluten in their system - and my gut is still pissed at me today.

That being said, it went so well in this soup that I have now become obsessed with faking chicken in soups using seitan. Dangerous territory.

So yes, try this recipe. Add extra seitan. And double (actually, we tripled) the kale for more nutritional goodness. And skip the toast because this stew packs a filling punch that you'd never guess it would.

3 comments:

Sarah B @ Bake + Bike said...

I just discovered your blog and I'm really enjoying it- I've already bookmarked a bunch of recipes! I'm also a veggie-head living in KW (well I'm working in Hull at the moment but I'll be moving back for school in January).

Stop by my blog when you have a minute :)

Amber and Tanuki said...

I just saw seitan at Full circle health foods about a week ago on Queen and Charles in Kitchener.

Mary said...

Sarah - Sure, I'll check out your blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Amber - You have made my DAY! Thanks so much for letting me know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails