Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Festive Spicy Nuts (and the 3rd Annual M&P Ugly Xmas)



Every December, we host an Ugly Xmas celebration - a chance for our nearest and dearest friends to gather in our basement and celebrate the season in their most festive attire. It's hard to believe another Ugly Xmas has come and gone - it feels like I just finished cleaning up after Ugly 2009.

This Christmas marks my first as a full-time member of the workforce. Last year at this time I was still in graduate school, shedding tears over a thesis that I never thought would be finished. This means that this holiday season I have found myself with far less time to prepare for events (you would think it would be the other way around, but let's me honest - "working on my thesis" often meant sitting in my pajamas, eating sugar cookies and watching episodes of The View in order to determine the actual melting point of brain).

So, instead of going super crazy with snacks for this year's Ugly, I wanted items that were festive and tasty but simple.

I found the recipe for softly spiced nuts in my copy of Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. It showcases some of my favourite spices of the season: cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. It comes together quite quickly but a word to the frugal: nuts are expensive. It cost me $12.00 to get the mere two cups of mixed nuts required for this recipe.



I normally make cupcakes of some sort for all our events, but I went with Ugly sugar cookies instead! They are the same sugar cookies I made for Halloween this year, from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. My icing-piping ability leaves something to be desired so it's a good thing the night's theme was Ugly.

I suffer from delusions of grandeur when it comes to icing baked goods. I always envision these adorable, perfectly decorated cookies and cakes and somehow convince myself that I am capable of doing them. Instead, they turn into the hot mess you see above - at least they are recognizable as Christmas trees, though! I must be making progress in that department. And those are my most favourite of all the Christmas treats, Peppermint Patties (from How it All Vegan) on top.

Enough about the food though, let's get to the OUTFITS! I love that our friends get as into this event as we do - we really appreciate all their effort. Here are just some of samples!



Your favourite vegan blogger (I hope!)



Me, Paul and Dora



This one hurts the eyes a little, doesn't it



Richard Nixon even made a special appearance!





Awesome details on these two



Every year the guests of the party get to vote for who they think embodies the spirit of Ugly Xmas the most. This year's winner......



Samcha, for her amazingly accurate nod to Ralphie from A Christmas Story!!


A big thank you to all those who came and spread the Ugly Xmas spirit!

2 comments:

Sarah B @ Bake + Bike said...

Love the outfits! I haven't been to an ugly sweater party yet this year...how sad.

And your cookies aren't ugly at all! Very cute, in fact. This makes me very excited about returning home and decorating Christmas cookies with my sister!

Bliss Doubt said...

Ugly christmas, pretty cookies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails