Sunday, January 23, 2011

General Tso's Tofu



I have ten or so pounds to lose. Clearly, the best way to go about doing this is to eat something deep fried. So there I was, in my kitchen the other night, trying to deep fry tofu.

Obviously, deep frying food is pretty much the worst thing you can do it from a nutritional standpoint. It is also quite hazardous to your physical well-being when the item you decide to throw into the scalding hot oil consists of 90% water. Obviously, I know that oil and water don't mix because even the tiny little elementary school I attended found a way to provide us with science lessons in the seventh grade. However, I apparently didn't realize just how much they don't like each other.

I cranked the oil up to an ungodly temperature, because I thought that that's how it had to be (you can tell how often I fry things) and tossed the tofu in all at once and there it went, sounding like gun shots and spewing scalding oil everywhere.

I proceeded to scream at the top of my lungs and take cover behind our kitchen island as oil popped and spewed all over the stove and countertops. Paul came in and saved the day - even after I kicked him out of the kitchen ten minutes earlier for telling me that the oil was too hot and that I didn't know what the hell I was doing.



My mom and grandma are particularly adept at frying things. Tossing doughs and spring rolls and schnitzels into hot oil without so much as the slightest flinch. It appears to me that the genetic pool has become diluted. Although, I guess that is a good thing, because while I currently need to lose ten or so pounds, continuing to eat like this will make it an even twenty.



Mmmmmm it was so freaking good though.

Recipe found here. I didn't use egg replacer though, as mine had expired long ago without me realizing it. Other than that, I used all the same ingredients (including all of the crossed out items and except for the mushrooms). Another VeganYumYum.com win!

7 comments:

Sarah B @ Bake + Bike said...

Ack sounds terrifying! I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to attempt to deep fry anything.

The end result does look delicious, though!!

Anonymous said...

What an awful comparison.

Mary said...

Sarah - it really made quite a mess!

Anon - you are totally right, reading it back. My sarcasm doesn't translate sometimes. My apologies if somehow offended you; not at all my intent.

Bliss Doubt said...

Omygosh that is so funny. Kitchen trauma, like the first time you work with blueberries and swear you'll never try it again if you can make it out alive without yourself and the kitchen dyed purple.

Mary said...

Bliss - ha! The first time I made blueberry muffins I had to throw out a dish towel. I also had an incident with food dye during an attempt to make candy corn, I didn't think my finger nails would ever be the same!

Tofu said...

:) I've never tried deep frying tofu, but your pictures look really tasty.

KamalKitchen said...

Hi,
This is a great recipe and it is always a bit dangerous to deep fry tofu, as it can be waterlogged even if you drain it.

Please check my recipe for General Tso's Tofu at
http://kamalkitchen.blogspot.com

thanks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails