Monday, February 7, 2011

Leek & Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits



We tried another recipe from Veganomicon last weekend. I bookmarked the recipe for this cassoulet a long time ago, but everytime the cookbook came up in my rotation I skipped over it because the recipe is seriously long and honestly, quite terrifying to look at.

It takes up two pages.

And I have a sorry excuse for an attention span.

(In other news, Operation: Cookbook Rotation is such an organizational marvel that I am expecting a job offer from NASA at anytime now. Sup, NASA! You know you want me.)

So, a lazy Sunday came around. Paul was working and I had some time to myself. I put on a brave face, rolled up my sleeves and gave this recipe a try.

Truthfully, while at first glance the text is a bit intimidating, the meal itself comes together quite quickly and easily.



The first step is getting the veggies together. Boiling the potatoes, sauteeing the carrots and leeks. Tossing it all together with some veggie broth, beans, peas and herbs. And while that is simmering away on the stove you make the biscuits.



For me, white flour is reserved for sweets and treats only - never as a part of an actual meal. So, I tried to up the nutritional value of the recipe by using organic whole wheat flour.

This was a huge mistake.

Instead of being light and fluffy the biscuits were hard and dense. I knew this would happen and I did it anyway, so I have no one to blame but myself.

Lesson learned. If you do try this recipe, make sure you use the nutritionally useless but incredibly delicious white flour that you usually save for desserts.



Once the stew has thickened and the biscuits are formed, it all goes into one dish and then into the oven for a little baking time.

All in all, it was pretty good. The fact that the biscuits tasted like hockey pucks was no one's fault but my own, so I'll take the heat for that one. The flavour was quite mellow though, and we ended up dumping half a bottle of hot sauce on the finished product. Still, I suggest you give it a try next time you want to warm up on a winter night.

Here is a link to the recipe (although I really, really think you should pick up a copy of Veganomicon).

2 comments:

VeganSolo said...

I had to laugh at this because I did the exact same thing! Not a great place to sub whole wheat - darn!! But yeah for trying. It's the first recipe from Veganomicon that was so-so for me.

Mary said...

Solo - It was the first so-so recipe for me too, everything else has been so amazing! I was so disappointed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails