Thursday, February 3, 2011

Macaroni and Cheeze Soup



By a show of non-wool mittened hands, who is sick of winter?

That's what I thought.

We are now at that point of the year where winter has completely lost its lustre. Snow is no longer "pretty" or "peaceful". Winter is now a colossal pain in the ass that causes us to throw out our backs while shoveling and spin our cars into oblivion on the freeway. And don't even get me started on the amount of energy that needs to be expended before even leaving the house on a winter morning. Hats, mittens, scarves, boots, window scraping. Enough already!

If you have been anywhere in between Texas and Nova Scotia over the last few days, you are probably feeling my winter rage tenfold by now.

Whether you are still snowed in or have managed to dig your way out, if you have some Daiya on hand you should definitely try and warm your frozen little heart with this Macaroni and Cheeze soup.

The recipe comes from Nava Atlas' Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons and although I have had the book for years now I forgot all about it. Years ago when I got the book Daiya wasn't even on my radar and I hadn't yet found a vegan cheese that didn't cause me to gag profusely. Although the recipe sounded interesting, I didn't bother bookmarking it because a delicious non-soy vegan cheese seemed like an impossibility at the time.

I have a bit of an addiction to post-its, particularly when it comes to marking recipes. My cookbook shelf is basically a sea of fluorescent pink, yellow and green so bright that you can't look directly at it without causing considerable damage to your corneas. A couple weeks ago while I was flipping through Vegan Soups & Hearty Stews I noticed the recipe for this soup didn't have a little marker on it. It was easy to spot because it was pretty much the only recipe that didn't have a little marker on it.

And I realized that with Daiya now in my life I could finally try some of these many long-forgotten recipes that I breezed over years ago! How exciting it was, doing the once-over on old cookbooks, trusty post-its in hand.

This soup combines two of my favourite winter comforts: macaroni and cheese and soup. Growing up, you were pretty much guaranteed to have one of these two options on a Snow Day and now you can have both - at the same time!

Here is a link to the recipe. You'll notice I added in a little broccoli along with the peas to up the vegetables per serving (and because I can't get enough of broccoli mixed with Daiya).

Just one more thing to make winter that little bit more bearable. And here's another:



Here in southern Ontario, "Snowpocalypse 2011" turned into "SnowMuchOverreaction 2011", but it was nice to get a little time off work to play with the mutt in the tundra that is our backyard.

4 comments:

Niki said...

Thing I approve of:

- cheese, pasta, and broccoli in one delicious soup
- online recipes
- your cute dog

Don't be surprised if you see this popping up on CCV soon...

Bliss Doubt said...

Love those dawg pics!

Leslie said...

I had no idea what to have for dinner tonight until I dug back a bit in my blogroll and discovered this post. It sounded just too wonderfully weird not to try - so I did, and it was delicious. Thank you for the inspiration!

Mary said...

Niki - hope you like it!

Bliss - thanks! She is an awesome little dog.

Leslie - So glad you enjoyed it! It's one of our winter favourites.

Related Posts with Thumbnails