Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Toasted Coconut Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting



I mentioned in my previous post that because Valentine's Day fell on a Monday this year, we weren't really going to bother with much of anything Cupid-related. However, after spending the day at work I was pleasantly surprised to come home to a batch of cupcakes made by husband!

Although I do bake a fair bit, I kind of hate it.

I don't like to measure things. Instead, I fling ingredients around the kitchen and into pots and pans, hoping for the best. While this is fine for cooking, baking is an act of chemistry. An exact science. Messy girls like myself don't do well with precision. We instead opt for spending no time at all icing cakes and then throwing fits about how bad they look.

Everything I lack as a baker - patience, perfectionism, accuracy - Paul embodies perfectly, so it is a pretty awesome treat whenever he decides to bake something.

He made me a batch of the Toasted Coconut Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (click for recipe), topped them with coffee buttercream frosting and then rolled them in some toasted coconut. So fancy!

Cupcakes are typically known for their cuteness, their tooth-aching sweetness and their ability to make us feel like a kid again. But this is not your average cupcake. Rich instead of sweet and sophisticated without being too snobby, this is a grown-up's cupcake. Something to eat while wearing all black and discussing postmodernism. Or while watching The Office in your Hello Kitty pajamas, like I was. Whatever floats your boat.

The really cool thing about these cupcakes? I now have a jar of coconut oil in my fridge for the first time. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about!

3 comments:

Adventures in Veg said...

They look delicious!! I'm with you on baking, I really enjoy it but I am *not* a perfectionist when it comes to baking, I'm messy and leave the kitchen in a state and probably forget one ingredient...

Mandee said...

Very cute!

I just saw your tweets about going gluten free/wheat free and I understand your feelings about not having the same motivation to go gf/wf as you did to go vegan.

I've had stages where I wasn't gf and once I felt bad again I had to return to gf life. It will get easier the longer you're gf and there are so many products available these days and lots of blogs to check out too! xox

Mary said...

Adventures - I always forget ingredients! And then remember once whatever I am baking has already been in the oven for five minutes....

Mandee - Thanks for the support! I don't have a strong allergy to gluten, but I do experience some general sluggishness, exhaustion, and all around "gross" feeling after I consume too much wheat. I figure it's time to taper it off a little bit, make some subtitutions and not rely on my morning bagel so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails