Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bomb Cupcakes (and some Important Announcements)



I'm not sure how many more ways I can combine chocolate and peanut butter together, but I'm more than happy to spend my life trying.

I made these as dessert for dinner with a couple that shares our affinity for all things peanut butter and chocolate. My intent was to branch out and make them something different for once, because every single time we have ever had dinner at their house I have brought something PB and C. By this point, they most likely think that I am some sort of creep with vast quantities of stock in a large multi-national chocolate-and-peanutbutter conglomerate that is looking for investors. I actually settled on and began preparing to make Boston VS Brooklyn Cream Pie Cupcakes. And then I realized that I didn't plan ahead and essentially had absolutely none of the ingredients in stock. Back to chocolate and peanut butter it was, because at any given time our cupboard has a massive tin of cocoa and at least three jars of peanut butter. No planning necessary.

I decided to take a page out of the old Boston VS Brooklyn Cream Pie book for these by injecting them with peanut buttercream in addition to topping them with it. The results were pretty cool and I think I am now addicted to filling cupcakes rather than just frosting them. It makes them look all fancy without being much additional work.



My assistant cut a hole out of the center of each cupcake...



...and I filled a pastry bag with peanut buttercream and then filled each cupcake.


After that, we just topped each cupcake with some home made chocolate ganache and then another tiny dollop of the peanut buttercream. Et voila - fancy little cupcakes that look like they belong in the window of a pastry shop!



A peanut butter bomb is the one kind of bomb I can get on board with. Yes sir.


I also have some information on some cool happenings both on the Internet and in my neck of the woods:

1) VeganCuts.com is the hottest new vegan site on the web and I want you to be a part of it! Launched by the folks that bring you Vegan Backpacker, this is a site for all us cheap - errr conscientious - shoppers. If you're like me and love the high you get by holding up a grocery line with a fist full of coupons, this site is for you. Go on, sign up, and start saving - this site is going to singlehandedly dismantle the old myth that veganism is expensive and elitist.

2) Last year, when the earthquake hit Haiti, I launched Cupcakes Care About Haiti. On March 11, 2011, Japan was hit by one of the fiercest and most destructive natural disasters in recorded history. Naturally, the same feelings of helplessness and disenchantment washed over me as I watched the footage, this time with the added frustration of having a hectic work and life schedule that prevented me from doing another cupcake drive at this point and time. So, while I can't be as hands on as I would like to be, I'm going to do my best to research and spread the word about those who are able to organize fundraising events for our dear Japanese friends in their darkest hour.

Cafe Pyrus: A Call to All - Sunday, April 10, 2011
(16 Charles Street East, Kitchener ON)

Cafe Pyrus is hosting a full day fundraiser for Japan, beginning at 9am and going into the wee hours. It sounds like there will be live music, a silent auction and of course, that incredible Cafe Pyrus menu. Check out the Facebook event and contact the management if there is something you would like to contribute. You know TIV will stop by - just look for the girl with a table full of club sandwiches in front of her.


Lotus Tea House: 100% of restaurant earnings this week going to Japan
(79 Regina Street North, Waterloo ON)

Lotus Tea House in Waterloo, besides being famous in our town for serving its vast tea selection and vegetarian noms, is donating absolutely everything the restaurant takes in between March 26 and April 1, 2011 to relief efforts in Japan. Waiters are also donating 10% of their tips. WOW! We will for sure be stopping in at least once this week and I hope you will too.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, these look delicious. I had to give up my favorite cupcake restaurant when I became vegan, but these look very similar to the ones they serve. I'm so excited to have a replacement!
Thanks,
Amanda
VeganCents

Michelle said...

Wow Mary! These cupcakes look amazing!!
I've been reading your blog for a while and so wanted to take the time to say "hi" and "thanks" for all of the great recipes you post. I've been vegetarian for 21 years and in the last few my diet has become closer and closer to 100% vegan....
I recently made these Vegan Peanut Butter Cups and thought you might enjoy the recipe too, given your love of all things PB & C!
http://www.oprah.com/food/Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Cups

E V E L Y N said...

These look amazing! I'll bookmark this and try to make them :)

Sasha said...

These look amazing. My sister is vegan and she would probably love these. We are in the same area. Always love having healthy people in the area.

Jill said...

Hey Mary! Thanks for helping us spread the word about vegan cuts.

Your cupcakes look fantastic! Where in Southern Ontario do you live?

Mary said...

Amanda - hope you enjoy them! I love a good chocolate cupcake, because you can do SO much with it...peanut butter, mint, hazelnut, the options are endless...but I always seem to default to PB!

Michelle - Hi to you too! Thanks so much for the kind words...and VEGAN PB CUPS?! I'm IN! :)

Evelyn - Hope they come out as great as mine did...I highly recommend using the chocolate cupcake from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World as the base - definitely the best choc cupcake out there!

Sasha - I love hearing about healthy lifestyles in KW too!

Jill - You're welcome! Anything to get the word out :) I am in Kitchener, nestled in between London and Toronto.

Kim said...

Oh god I have to make those.
How did you make the cream filling? I have Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World. Did you just make the Vanilla vegan pastry and add peanut butter?
YUM

Mary said...

Kim - It's the peanut buttercream from VCTOTW (page 151).

Related Posts with Thumbnails