Saturday, March 12, 2011

Vegan Adventures in Los Angeles - Part Four: Bulan Thai Vegetarian Kitchen (Los Angeles, CA)



We eat a lot of Thai food here at home. In a city with a steakhouse and sportsbar on every corner, Thai restaurants typically serve as shelter from the standard veggie-burger storm for us local vegans.

Because we were in L.A. for such a short period of time, we thought we'd stick to restaurants that featured items that we don't have at home, saving the coconut curries and noodle dishes for our southern Ontario exploits.



However, Bulan Thai comes so highly recommended on the interwebz and it was so close to our hotel, and it was on Melrose, where we had spent the afternoon shopping. It really made little sense to pass it up.

I am really, really glad that we went. Because even though I've eaten at a lot of Thai restaurants in my life, I think this one just might be my favourite.



We started with an order of Steamed Dumplings
From the menu: Stuffed with mixed vegetables and bean-curd, served with a spicy soy vinaigrette



Mock Duck Curry
From the menu: veggie duck, fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, basil and pineapple in a coconut curry sauce



Pad Koo Moo aka "Drunken Noodles"
From the menu: pan-fried flat rice noodles with carrots, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, basil, chili and veggie chicken


Holy moley, people. If you are on Melrose, you must go to this place. I don't care how many curry dishes or how many drunken noodles you've eaten in your life, I promise you that you haven't eaten them like this.

If you are getting a little annoyed with me at this point, that's okay. I am kind of annoying myself, actually, with just how positive I am about all these restaurants. But the honest truth is that they were all absolutely incredible, Bulan Thai included. The entire time I was there I was trying to find something wrong with at least one of the dining experiences we had so that I wouldn't sound like such a bubbly optimist (a personality really, really doesn't suit me well). And I failed. I couldn't find anything to complain about. I just couldn't!

The food was wonderful. The service was quick and efficient. The prices were reasonable. Wins across the board for Bulan Thai.



Our visit also gave me the opportunity to work on my sorely lacking chopstick skills. And I did, for just enough time to take this photo. And then I moved onto my tried and true fork.

The good news is that my hero Sheldon Cooper says it's okay to not use chopsticks at Thai restaurants, because "Thailand has had the fork since the latter half of the nineteenth century."

Bulan Thai Vegetarian
7168 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046
(323) 857-1882
Hours: Open Daily: 11am-10pm (Mon-Fri: closed 4pm-5pm)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails