Sunday, April 17, 2011

Snowy Bean Mashed Potatoes



This is so clever and basic and I'm kind of embarrassed that I needed a cookbook to tell me to do it.

I've never really been much of a mashed potatoes girl. It's always hard to get them just right. In my infinite fussiness, I can't stand when they are lumpy, but when they are too smooth I think they should be reserved for the next time I get my wisdom teeth pulled (not any time soon, I might add, unless the ones I got pulled seven years ago start growing back). Traditional mashed taters of the milk-butter-nothing else variety have eluded me and so when I have made them in the past it's only been with the inclusion of garlic and kale or swiss chard or something else that is equally colourful and crunchy to break up the monotony of the white goo that we here in North America seem to thrive upon.

Adding these foreign elements is sure to outrage the Mashed Potato Purists of the world. But how about a little something that breaks up the monotony and adds protein, fibre, iron and calcium, while ever-so-sneakily looking just like the mashed potatoes we grew up eating on Sundays after church?



Something like white kidney beans, perhaps.


I don't have any children, but if I did - and if they were anything at all like I was when I was a kid - I'm fairly certain the food processor would be my best friend. Pureeing two cups of white beans and then mixing them in with the typically kid-approved dish of mashed potatoes is a surefire way to get some nutrients into the bloodstreams of many a wee one. Because honestly, you really can't taste them at all - and if I hadn't doused the entire thing in copious amounts of hot sauce like I do everything I make (you can see they take on a bit of an orange hue in the first picture), you can't even tell that there is an outsider in the midst. They are white, they are fluffy and if you puree the beans long enough, they are without lumps.



Paired up with some Seitan roast you've got yourself a fine take on the traditional North American Sunday Night Meal - albeit a far healthier and more compassionate version. Might be something to consider when whipping up side dishes for next Sunday's Easter dinner!

The idea comes from the CalciYum cookbook and you can find a version of it here.

3 comments:

Bliss Doubt said...

"I've never really been much of a mashed potatoes girl."

Oh, but you obviously haven't tried curried mash. When adding your margine, you stir in plenty of curry powder and minced garlic to toast them in the margarine, then mash up with soymilk or whatever you moisten with. Then add hot pepper flakes and frozen baby peas. Makes a meal for me.

I wouldn't have thought of making white bean mash, though why not? I've enjoyed other peoples' cauliflower mock mash, and you mash up beans for nachos and such.

Lori said...

Aahh, I love me some good, old fashioned sneaky nutrition! ;D

Mary said...

Bliss - sounds wonderful, I love anything Curry so I will have to give it a try!

Lori - me too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails