Thursday, June 9, 2011

Red Chile Seitan with Rice & Black Beans



I've got such a delicious one for you guys today! It comes from the Show Me Vegan blog and is a veganized version of a recipe from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless, using seitan instead of chicken and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.



You start by coating each seitan piece in ancho chile powder (I went with chipotle chile powder instead because I'm crazy like that).



You pan fry each seitan piece in a tiny bit of oil until they turn a nice brown on both sides and the room you're in becomes deliciously fragrant.



The rest of the recipe comes together like your typical rice dish will (rice, broth, spices, onions, etc.). The one thing I will note, however, is that I needed a bit more water/broth than the recipe suggests. Even at a low temperature it cooked off too quickly for the rice to be done. This is probably because brown rice takes a bit longer to cook than white rice. I just kept a glass of water close by and checked on the pan every once in awhile. When needed I just tossed in a little water and raised the temperature to bring it to a boil before returning it back down to the Low setting. If you use white rice you probably won't need as much liquid as I did.

The original, non-vegan version of the recipe is found here. Using seitan instead of chicken and veggie broth instead of chicken broth while maintaining the original flavour makes this recipe particularly great for those new to the veg*n cooking scene. Enjoy!

3 comments:

african mango said...

I definitely love your post because it is very mouth watering! :) I assume this dish is good for our health. I will surely put this on my bucket list and will try this at home. Thanks for sharing! :)

Mand said...

This looks delicious Mary, I always want to try seitan again after seeing your posts but I can never cook it right, its always "gooey" in the middle, like I'm eating bubble gum.. Any suggestions?!

Mary said...

African - Enjoy!

Mand - I've tried a lot of different seitan recipes from various cookbooks, blogs, etc and would you believe it, the best one came from about.com?! http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/HowToSeitan.htm is the link (I change the spices according to the style of seitan I'm cooking). Another couple tips for avoiding that gooiness - Knead it really, really, really well beforehand (I'm talking for like 10 minutes straight) and letting it sit for 5 minutes or so before cooking and for up to an hour, in the liquid, afterward. Also, put it into cold water/broth rather than setting a pot to boil and plopping them into the already-hot water. Finally, after it's done (and depending what you're using it for), you can cut it into chunks, strips and pan fry the smaller pieces it until it's a nice golden brown and crispy texture. It's essentially "bread" so just like bread can get gooey in the middle, so can seitan if it's in really big chunks. Good luck! I love the taste of it but I can't eat it all that often..the gluten tends to get to me. Wish I could eat it more often!

Related Posts with Thumbnails