Today is my 3rd Veganiversary!
I typically like to celebrate such milestones with something that consists of 99% sugar and my daily recommended calorie intake. Not this year, though. Especially since I am nursing a particularly frisky ankle injury that is not only hindering my daily runs but has actually left me pretty much immobile for the next little while.
So, instead of filling my life with something deliciously bad for me, I've decided to fill YOUR life with something... in the form of a Veganiversary Giveaway!
In July 2008, after being vegetarian for a little over a year, I decided I didn't want any more animal products (in whatever clever and confusing form they are manufactured into) in my life. Making this tiny little change transformed my life in the best of possible ways. Going vegan changed how I felt about myself and about the world around me and not only did I notice many positive physical changes, the psychological impact of knowing that I am doing what is best for the animals, the planet and myself was life altering. After years of feeling helpless and essentially traumatized by all that is wrong with the world, the positive message of "harm none" has replaced the lethargy with a sense of optimistic action. And today, on my veganiversary, I want to pay it forward.
In honor of this grand occassion, I've decided to raffle off two books that I think are essential to both understanding and participating in the vegan life, all while being completely approachable by vegans and non-vegans alike.
What You Get:
1) "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism" by Melanie Joy
A couple weeks ago I did a report on this ambitious philosophical and sociological exploration of the use of animals in our society and when I was done I knew instantly that I would include it in my Veganiversary Giveaway. It is the most important book I have read in a long time. I think everyone, carnist or vegan or anywhere in between, will find it useful, a quality that I take very seriously in vegan literature as I understand that a lot of my readers are not necessarily vegan but are interested in learning more about animal advocacy and incorporating the vegan philosophy into their lives.
2) "Vegan Express" by Nava Atlas
Last summer I did a Vegan Express giveaway, and the response was so great that I thought I would do another one. This is my go-to cookbook for busy nights when "omigod there is NOTHING to eat". Quick and easy recipes, ideal for both those who are just dipping their feet into veganism as well as vegan veterans like myself who find themselves too busy to read to three pages of ingredients every night of the week. In it you can find recipes for such delicious blog entries as White Pizza with Sweet Potato & Caramelized Onion, Tempeh, Kale & Sweet Potato Skillet, Jamaican Jerk Seitan and many others.
How You Enter to Win These Two Books:
1) Blog - Post a comment on this blog post using your Google ID/Open ID with the phrase "THIS IS VEGAN VEGANIVERSARY GIVEAWAY". If you do not have a Google ID, post your comment as "Anonymous" but include your name a valid e-mail address (one entry per person, please).
2) Facebook - If you haven't already done so, join the This is Vegan Facebook page and post "THIS IS VEGAN VEGANIVERSARY GIVEAWAY" on the page wall.
3) Twitter - Send out a Tweet letting your followers know about the giveaway by providing a link to this post and include @ThisIsVeganBlog somewhere in the tweet so that I know you did it and can add your name to the draw (i.e. "Enter the @ThisIsVeganBlog Veganiversary Giveaway at http://thisisvegan.com" - or Re-tweet the announcement I made at http://twitter.com/thisisveganblog).
You may enter once via each of these options for a total of three times. However, as a special bonus thank you for spreading the word about This is Vegan, if you encourage someone to enter the giveaway and they mention your name/Google ID/Twitter name not only will they be entered in the draw but you will also be entered into the draw an additional time, up to five extra times!
The Giveaway will close on Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 at 10am EST and I will post the winner shortly afterward.
If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy Veganiversary to me!