Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Great TIV Smoothie Post!



I get far more excited over kitchen items than I do over fancy clothes or expensive jewellery. So if you ever feel like you need to buy me a gift, don't worry about breaking the bank. Just buy me a new whisk or something and I will never forget it.

So, when I feel like splurging or rewarding myself in some way, it's typically in the form of something for my kitchen. Like a new cookbook. Or a pretty dish with a fancy design.

And when I really need to get myself a consolation prize after living through a particularly crappy summer, I like to get expensive kitchen appliances - like a BlendTec blender, the most exciting way for a vegan to spend several hundred dollars this side of a trip to Portland.

We had been back and forth between the BlendTec and the VitaMix for months. Our previous blender was embarrassingly incompetent, forcing us to defrost frozen fruit in the microwave before making a smoothie. And you can forget nut-based cheeses unless you like them with chunks of cashew strewn about within. When in use it made these horrible, hair-raising noises and if you tested its patience too much the base of it would start to crack.

In short, it sucked, and it had no place in a vegan kitchen.

We decided on the BlendTec, star of the Will it Blend? series, because it was a little more cost-effective than the Vitamix while still being more than enough blender for us. And since then our smoothie-making has taken on a bit of an obsessive quality. Seriously. The fruit portion of our grocery bill has gone up like 600%. We've had it only a couple weeks and it's completed 59 cycles already.

So I thought I would share some of our favourite smoothie combos, in hopes that you will comment and share some of yours!

The Standard Issue Green Smoothie



2 big handfuls of kale
1/2 an avocado
1 orange Orange
1 cup Mango or Pineapple
Banana (frozen)
Cantaloupe
Drop of agave nectar

The Sunday Sunshine Smoothie



1 Orange
1 1/2 cups Pineapple
Handful of Grapes
1 Banana
1/2 cup Cantaloupe

The Scary Looking But Best Tasting Spinach Smoothie



Recipe from Vegan Chickie and it's found here - my favourite of the whole lot!

The Guilt-Free Vanilla Milkshake



2 cups Rice Milk
1 Ripe Banana, frozen
1 tbsp Raw Cane Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla

It is guilt-free because not only is it vegan, but it also doesn't rely on vegan ice cream, which is delicious and cruelty-free, sure, but it's also usually super high in calories and sugar.



All these smoothies make more than enough for two people, so if it's just for you, cut them in half.

Now it's your turn! What are some of your favourite blender combos? I want that cycle count to be up to 100 by the middle of the month!

6 comments:

Songcatcher Siren said...

Mmmm you have my mouth watering! One of my favorite morning smoothies that I use throughout the year with our frozen harvest is (measurements are approximate): 1 cup blueberries, 1/3 cup rhubarb, 1 banana, rice or almond milk (to desired consistency), Agave or raw sugar to taste. Thats the base. To this I then vary it adding whatever additional fruit I may have that needs to be used up, maybe some chia or sesame seeds, some spirulina or a touch of cacao, a tsp of vanilla. If I have some sweet veggies like carrots or beets that need to be used up I will juice them and throw 'em in! I love the versatility of smoothies. But my blender, too, is sub-par for sure.

Anonymous said...

My one main ingredient I like to add to smoothies: Nutrition House's Greens Extra Powder in Veryberry (funny - Crohns has me supplementing exactly the opposite things you need to supplement).

-Nicole

Niki said...

I want all of these in my mouth right now.

One of my favorites is the "But Where Do You Get Your Protein" smoothies from Eat, Drink, and be Vegan. I like it for breakfast or a treat on a hot day (and those obviously have NOT been in short supply this summer).

jenthevegan said...

They sound great! My favourite smoothie is super simple - banana, spinach, soya milk, spirulina, ice cubes. That's it!

Songcatcher Siren said...

I was talking smoothies with my sister in law on the weekend and she said she cubes and freezes watermelon & whirls that up with other fruit. She says it gives the liquid & slushee element required and also you don't need to add sweetner then! I can't wait to try!

Mary said...

Awesome tips guys, thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails