Monday, August 15, 2011

Tipsy Soft Tacos



I was planning on not even posting this one because the pictures I took are so embarrassingly bad, but the name of this recipe is so cute and the tacos themselves are so good that I decided to bite the bullet on the embarrassment and share it anyway. Don't hold it against me!

We are at that point of the summer where bright, refreshing, homemade salsas are a reality. Farm fresh tomatoes are at the height of their juiciness, so pico de gallo/salsa fresca never tastes quite as good as it does in mid-August. Sure you can make it all year round, but there's something about the way the tomatoes taste right now that it's a total waste to not make a fresh salsa at least once every summer.



Pico de Gallo


Being bombarded with such a variety of brightly coloured fresh veggies after spending half a year buried under snow ensures that I often end up with a midsummer addiction to tacos. Nothing but a little bit of beans, a soft flour wrap and tons and tons of crispy, raw vegetables that aren't half rotten by the time you bring them home. It's quick and easy and pretty a pretty darn refreshing meal for hazy August nights. Knowing that they will arrive again every year is what keeps me going through long Canadian winters.

This recipe comes from Show Me Vegan and making it is a particularly fun summertime activity because it involves the added bonus of cooking beans in beer!







And you don't need the whole bottle, so guess what you get to drink with dinner?

Tipsy Tacos and maybe even Tipsy Human!

To serve, layer the tortillas with the Beer Beans, the pico de gallo, some freshly sliced avocado and some toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds).

Find the recipe here.

4 comments:

Songcatcher Siren said...

Trying this recipe this week with tomatoes from my garden! Thanks!

crashtestvegetarian said...

I am officially a BLONDE.

Two days later it clicked as to why these are called Tipsy Taco's....

Yep. Blonde. And this looks awesome!

Mary said...

Songcatcher - Hope you enjoyed it!

Crash - Don't feel bad, I didn't realize it at first either!

Songcatcher Siren said...

They were DELICIOUS - although I have to say that I don't think you really HAVE to use the beer. With all the spices in there its not really necessary. I grated up some carrots to sprinkle in the wraps as well...very good!
~SCS

Related Posts with Thumbnails