Thursday, September 15, 2011

Morty's Pub, Waterloo (and my 28th Birthday)



To say that I don't handle birthdays appropriately is a pretty big understatement.

A lot of people don't like getting older. There's nothing weird about that. However, there is something weird about the way I break into a cold sweat every September 13th, in anticipation of the big day to follow. I don't know why I'm like this, but I always kind of have been, even as a kid. It's just getting worse the older that I get.

I suppose it's just another one of the quirky neuroticisms that my patient and understanding friends have come to accept about me.

Anyway, this year I wanted to spend September 14th moping around the house, possibly dragging a bottle of wine behind me. Paul was having none of that. So we met somewhere in the middle - a relatively calm night of burgers and beers with friends at Morty's Pub in Waterloo.

When I was in university, and not yet vegan, we pretty much existed solely on Morty's chicken wings. And admittedly, it's not the first place you would think of for hosting a vegan's birthday dinner. But from my pregan days I know that the staff is really friendly and helpful and the place itself has a relaxed, laid back feeling. Plus, they have lots of beer. This makes it a prime location for marking the dreaded 28.

Also, I'd heard great things about their veggie burger and hadn't yet had a chance to get out there and try it.



As promised, it was a great night full of wonderful friends and pitchers of beer and yes, delicious veggie burgers. The one I got is pictured at the start of this post, buried under a whole lotta hot peppers. Paul got the veggie double stack, because he is a bottomless pit:



After a few hours at Morty's and more beer than I thought I actually drank, it was home to pajamas and the PVR'd Big Brother 13 finale - I'm such a wild child!

With one more thing -



Paul made me a half batch of my most favourite cupcakes - Dulce sin Leche from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World!



I wish I had some more pictures to share, but I managed to sneak my adorable little 7-week old goddaughter into every shot we took, just to give it that extra cuteness bump, and I don't like posting pictures of other people's kids. Or any kids, for that matter. I tend to watch a lot of Dateline; it fuels the paranoia.

I guess I can share one more of me, with a couple of my birthday gifts, because you'll all benefit from them - two new vegan cookbooks!



Thanks to all my friends who came out and who sent wishes and thanks to Morty's Pub for taking such good care of us. And thanks to whatever powers may be as well as the Gregorian calendar for making my birthday only come around once a year.

EDIT - FEBRUARY 29, 2012
Just received a comment from a blog reader. I have not been to Morty's since this visit last September so I am not able to confirm the information in the comment. While I obviously prefer to avoid restaurant cross-contamination with non-vegan food items, this is not something I really stress much about, as long as the food that I am actually ordering is 100% vegan (especially considering that I eat at restaurants all of five times a year). Similarly, if I'm told it's vegan and then ends up not being so, I try not to stress much about that either. Veganism is about intent and if I did the best research possible at the time and made a decision that ended up being incorrect, I don't beat myself up over it. I just won't make the mistake again.

This is something every vegan decides for herself/himself and I believe there is no right or wrong. The truth is, anytime you enter a non-vegan establishment the vegan food you order is likely cooked near non-vegan food and your risk of cross-contamination is great. You're also running the risk of misinformation now and again as well. It's something I've chosen to not stress out over, but completely understand why some people do as well as their decisions to not eat at these places. For now, I concentrate more on accessible veganism and encouraging businesses to incorporate more vegan options into their traditionally non-vegan menus, and when they provide these items I like to support them in hopes that they will continue to expand their options. Five years ago you could barely get a single veggie burger in this town, and now there's at least one veggie option at pretty much every restaurant. That's because of consumer demand and interest, not threats of boycott. I just believe that veganism will never be taken seriously unless it is accessible by the public and their varied lifestyles. I'm all about baby steps, but totally understand if you are not.

I will let you know if I get further information regarding this matter. For now, please read the comment below and decide how to proceed with regard to your own needs.

Anonymous said...
Just to let you know, as a former employee of Morty's pub, I have to inform you that your meal was most likely contaminated with meat product during the cooking process. As the kitchen staff does not have a devoted place on the grill for cooking Vegan or vegetarian food.

So there is a good chance that there was trace amount of meat your food. if that is of any concern to you.

also if you eaten any of their fried food, the same can be said, as they don't have a devoted deep frier for Vegan or vegetarian food, Not that any of their fried food are Vegan or vegetarian friendly.



Morty's Pub
272 King Street North
Waterloo, Ontario
(519) 886-0440

10 comments:

Songcatcher Siren said...

Happy Birthday! In a couple of weeks I'll be celebrating my own....but I have about 10 years on you, my dear... (SIGH...)

Jenna said...

Happy Birthday!
Those burgers looked fantastic!

Kim said...

What an awesome way to celebrate your birthday! I will definitely have to try Morty's out. Generally try not to do the greasy food thing... but it tastes so good and 'ya just have to treat yourself once in awhile (especially if it's your birthday!).
And that is so sweet he made you cupcakes - what an awesome hubbie =)

Bliss Doubt said...

Happy birthday Mary. No worries, you're cute as a button.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Happy Birthday! I also turned 28 this year but I'm the opposite with my attitude to Birthdays & always get a bit overexcited!

I'm glad you had a good day, pitchers of beer, burgers, new cookbooks & cupcakes are a great way to celebrate.

Alexandra said...

Wow the cupcakes look delish! I love your hair too, soo beautiful! Happy Birthday!

Ashley said...

I went to UW, and I totally miss Morty's! Yes, that was my pre food-allergy days, and I loved their wings. Happy birthday!

Mary said...

Songcatcher - thank you! And happy birthday to you!

Jenna - Thanks! They were awesome!

Kim - Yeah I was on a week or so greasy food bender...trying to reel it back in now!

Bliss - thank you!

Brighton - I'm trying to go a little more in your direction and get excited over birthdays rather than bummed out. I have a year to work on it!

Alexandra - that's so kind of you to say, thanks!

Ashley - I follow them on twitter, as well as some other Kitchener-Waterloo vegans and yesterday I heard some chatter between one of them and Morty's and there was talk about getting Gardein chicken strips as "wings"! Could you imagine!

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, as a former employee of Morty's pub, I have to inform you that your meal was most likely contaminated with meat product during the cooking process. As the kitchen staff does not have a devoted place on the grill for cooking Vegan or vegetarian food.

So there is a good chance that there was trace amount of meat your food. if that is of any concern to you.

also if you eaten any of their fried food, the same can be said, as they don't have a devoted deep frier for Vegan or vegetarian food, Not that any of their fried food are Vegan or vegetarian friendly.

Mary said...

Anon - Thank you for your comment. I've only been there the one time since going vegan and I was assured my food was vegan friendly, although I do know when it comes to any restaurant (aside from those that are completely vegan) cross contamination is likely the rule rather than the exception. I don't personally worry about cross contamination when in restaurants but I know many vegans do, so I will be sure to amend this post to include your comment. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails