Monday, December 12, 2011

"Vegg" Nog



Three years ago today I launched This is Vegan for the very first time!

On December 12, 2008 I had been vegan for about six months and TIV began as a simple ocular response to the question, "What is Vegan?" by featuring pictures of the food I was eating. Since then it has taken on a more traditional blog format with recipes, discussions, book reviews and giveaways. TIV has given me a platform to not only share what I am passionate about, but to interact with others that share that same passion, or at the very least, are curious about it. This blog has opened doors to new experiences and friendships and in that way it has given me so much more than I have given it!

I want to take a quick moment to thank you all for your continued interest, input and support regarding this little project of mine. There are tons of vegan blogs to choose from out there and I'm honoured that you take time out of your day to stop by mine. I hope to continue to provide my response to "What is vegan?" for many years to come!

Now -- I think this celebration calls for a little drinky, don't you?!

I should preface this by saying that I've never had egg nog in my life. Paul has, though. Hard to believe now, but we did celebrate many a Christmas as "pregans", and in those days Paul insisted on buying a small carton of egg nog and a bottle of spiced rum every single year, thinking he would like it and not at all remembering the many times in years past when he discovered just how much he didn't like it. This went on for years until, of course, he went vegan and now the decision to act impulsively (or, rather, not act impulsively) at the grocery checkout is made before he even arrives at the store.

All that doesn't matter now because we've found a perfect egg nog alternative, courtesy of Vegan Holiday Kitchen.



Up to this point I've had very little need for vegan nog alternatives because like I said, I've never had interest in the real thing. I've not really looked at the cartoned variety that is available at our supermarket, but I do know that lot of the recipes I've encountered online call for tofu and I'm not super crazy about silken tofu. Especially in a drink.

But then Nava Atlas sent me a copy of her Vegan Holiday Kitchen cookbook, featuring her very own Vegg nog (sans tofu)! It calls for vanilla almond milk and all the traditional eggnog spices (mmm nutmeg) as well as cashew butter.



We also employed our good friend the Captain to spice things up even further.

The verdict: Mellow, creamy and delicious!

The mellow was great, but we tend to like things with super strong flavours and we may or may not like the alcoholic portion to be strong, too. So we ended up doubling everything except for the milk.

Much thanks to Vegan Holiday Kitchen for our newest Christmas tradition! Now I just need a set of these to enjoy it in.



Hard to believe that Christmas is less than two weeks away now!

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thanks for posting this! Eggnog was always a staple of my holidays and I've been missing it. I'm going to give this a shot!

Kim said...

Yup - never tried eggnog either, always thought it looked kinda gross. Terry brought home some pre-packaged vegan eggnog which I really have no interest in trying sadly. Especially since it's soy-rific and now that I've read this about using almond milk, I'm feeling a little snobby towards his soy version ;p
You guys are just about the cutest family ever!!!

Mary said...

Adrienne - Hope you like it as much as we did!

Kim - Honestly the thought of tofu/soy nog is just as gross to me as egg nog! Soy product probably gives it the right thickness and texture but since I'm not trying to mimic egg nog exactly, the vanilla almond does the trick for me.. it gives it a nice nutty taste too.

Bliss Doubt said...

I agree, this celebration calls for a little drinky. Congratulations on three years of one of the best vegan blogs out there.

I resist egg nog because you're supposed to drink a cheery little cup of it, but I want another and another and another. I'll toast you with a thinner beverage!

Mary said...

Bliss - Thanks so much for the comment, and all the support! I agree, I have no idea how people drink more than a glass or two of the "real" stuff...but this cashew/almond based one isn't too heavy at all! Could be dangerous, depending on the amount of rum used!

Related Posts with Thumbnails