Saturday, March 3, 2012

Kale & Cheeze Balls


I have a lot of embarrassing guilty pleasures. Boyband music. 80s sitcoms. All that is deep fried vegan (bonus points if it also has lots of sugar, like these deep fried Oreos from the L.A. restaurant, Doomies.).

This time of year is particularly ripe with another one of my guilty pleasures - award shows. Particularly the Red Carpet Specials that precede them. It's weird that I'm so into them because I am normally so frustrated with that which is ego-driven and frivolous. And I really and truly believe that art is not something that should be ranked, but should instead exist for the sole purpose of existing. So basically my addiction to award shows renders me a big ol' hypocrite because I tend to salivate in mere anticipation of Ryan Seacrest interviewing people wearing dresses that could feed entire villages.

Paul does not share in this strange award show enthusiasm of mine. So I bribe him to watch them with me. Via delicious vegan finger foods like the kale and cheeze balls you see pictured above!



Kale is steamed and then tossed together with breadcrumbs, Daiya, and a couple other flavourful additions.



The mixture is rolled into balls and tossed in the oven!

I used panko breadcrumbs in place of regular breadcrumbs and it gave them a nice crunchy bite. Gluten-free breadcrumbs would work great, too.


Super delicious as a party finger food. I warmed up some simple jarred tomato sauce that I had left over after making Snobby Joes earlier in the week and used it as a dip. These little balls of deliciousness would also be a great addition to spaghetti, in lieu of meatballs!

This recipe comes from CalciYum by David & Rachelle Bronfman. There is no digital copy, and sadly it looks like it's not even be in print anymore. I really hate that, because it's one of my favourite cookbooks and would love for more people to add it to their collections. I'm sure you could piece together a similarly delicious kale and cheese ball on your own, but if you find yourself with an opportunity to purchase CalciYum, I would highly recommend it.

Award season is almost over, but there are plenty of other things that I like to watch and Paul doesn't, so I'm always looking for new treats as a means of bribery. What are some of your favourite vegan appetizers and hors d'oeuvres?

1 comments:

Kim said...

omg.... I have to make those. They look *so* good.
Hmmm maybe this will be a bribe for him to watch Breaking Dawn yet again ;p

Related Posts with Thumbnails